HELP with late duckling!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beckstar, Dec 16, 2011.

1. beckstar

beckstar Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Hi all! I need some quick help with my 2 duck eggs that I am incubating.
    I've realized through researching here that our humidity levels weren't as high as they should have been and our temperature was a little low (98-99) at the start for a still-air incubator (we've made a home-made bator with styrofoam and water pans).
    My ducklings were due to hatch in on day 28 (I've confirmed this with the supplier-they are Indian Runner crosses) but it is now day 34.
    Following instructions for checking to see if they were alive, I made a puncture in the air cell- the membrane was dry but they chick was alive! The other chick started peeping today but when I candled it hadn't punctured the air cell.
    I followed instrutions for assisting but am not sure what I am looking at. There are small blood vessels so I haven't pierced the membrane at all I can see what looks like an eye but cannot located the beak. There is yellowish fluid that I assume in the yolk but it is up near the aircell end which I'm thinking tells me he is not positioned correctly.
    He isn't peeping and is moving less than the other duckling. I'm scared to go further but I want him to make it! And to know what to do with the other egg. The other egg has bigger blood vessels from what I can see. Also cannot see a head from the hole I made.
    The eggs seem VERY hard, the duck eggs we have used for eating seem unusually hard-shelled as well (compared to chicken especially).
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I really want to help these chicks!
    I will try to upload pics.
    Thanks!

2. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    What was the date you set them? I have seen them live three days past due date or longer. If they are swrink wrapped, getting them out might be their only chance.

3. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Hi, thanks for the reply!

They were set Nov 11.

The one that was peeping is now dead [​IMG] he stopped moving earlier in the day so I started peeling away the shell and he still didn't move. I left him for an hour or so in the incubator wrapped in warm damp cloth. Still no movement so I opened the membrane - no bleeding but seems like the yolk sac was ruptured and he was turned the wrong way(?). The yolk was all over his body and the sac seemed to originate from up near the air cell. His head was at the small end of the egg. Is it possible he ruptured his yolk sac and drowned while trying to hatch? That was my first thought when I opened him up.

He seemed fairly fully developed except for the yolk-sac.

The other egg is now alone [​IMG] it is moving around quite a bit but no pipping yet and no cheeping. I have a viewing hole at the top so I am making sure to keep membrane moist and the humidity up.
    The initial humidity was only 50% but I have managed to increase it from 60% up 75-80% the past three days.

Anything special I should be watching for with this remaining egg? I am scared to intervene now that I know it is alive and may not be fully ready but I'm scared if I don't he will be trapped and suffocate/drown!

Thanks for any help with this [​IMG]

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Is it possible there was a mix up and they are muscovies, which take 35 days?

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Oh, if they are crosses might they be crossed with muscovies? That might cause a later hatch taking after the muscovy incubation period....

6. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Hi!
    No they are not, we only have 2 ducks, a male and female both Indian Runner Crosses.
    This one egg we still have is going crazy moving around. Still hasn't penetrated the membrane that I can see and hasn't peeped. Moves more when he hears our voices.
    I can't post pics yet as I am a new member but I see some blood vessels I'm not sure I want to risk hitting.

7. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Hi - I thought about that with the being a cross, so I called the place where we got them and they said no, 28 days is the norm and after 32 they are probably not living, but they ARE!!

8. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It could be that your temps were a bit low and this has delayed the hatch a few days. The best thing you can do is watch and wait your humidity is fine so I wouldn't worry too much about shrink wrapping. If the yolk hasn't been absorbed then its simply not ready yet the blood vessels also reduce when they are ready to hatch, in my experience if you assist at this early stage it could do more harm than good.

9. beckstar

Dec 15, 2011
    Delta, BC, Canada
    Thanks! I am trying so hard to be patient. I am just so worried that the other chick died because I didn't get in there soon enough. Although this one is the same age it definitely has more and larger blood vessels so I will leave it alone at least until they receed. It is just SUCH a late hatch, so stressful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by