1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Lavender Orpington gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by csgibbs, Sep 16, 2015.

1. csgibbs

csgibbs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2015
    Northern California
    Hi everyone. I am very new to chickens other than some silkies I had in the past. I have 3 lavender Orpingtons and am sure one is a roo, but suspect all 3 are. They are approximately 5 weeks old. Should I have any hope at this point?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I think they could be girls. Chickens, even the same breed and age can grow wattles/combs at very different rates. I wouldn't be so sure they are roo.

3. csgibbs

Sep 16, 2015
    Northern California
    Thank you. At about what age does it become more obvious?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Usually females combs remain orange for a couple months, roosters are pink than red. It's early, but I'm pretty sure those are roosters.

5. csgibbs

Sep 16, 2015
    Northern California
    What are the odds of keeping peace if I kept all 3 and they are Roos? I have an order on the way for 15 pullets, but no other chickens at this time. Assuming my pullets turn out to actually all be pullets, would 3 rooster be too many for my small flock?

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Three roosters can get along with occasional fights, though that will be too much on 15 hens, usually it's 8-12 hens per rooster, you have some time to make decisions, roosters usually don't make trouble until about 5 months, I have also rotated roosters in the past. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, and they are hens, hopefully.[​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They don't look like obvious cockerels yet.

8. bockchickas

bockchickas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2015
    My Orps developed waddles and combs at a young age, even the pullets. The comb doesn't look big enough for a roo to me. Definitely could still be a pullet. I'm on the fence with a few of mine now too...Won't be long though and you'll know. I hate waiting. Do they display rooster behavior?

9. csgibbs

Sep 16, 2015
    Northern California
    I hate waiting too. I really don't want to get attached to these two. The third one that I am pretty sure is a roo does stand taller and is more confident. His comb and waddles are much larger than these 2 and are starting to turn pink. These 2 seem rather timid compared to 'him'.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. csgibbs

Sep 16, 2015
    Northern California
    Updated photos. They are about 8 weeks now and I have a feeling they are all cockerels. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by