Help with Lil Dude "Silver'

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BEDUB RANCH, Oct 19, 2016.

1. BEDUB RANCH

BEDUB RANCH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silver came from a local breeder. She breeds a few bantam varieties. I purchased some from her "unwanted" batch and would like to know what Silver is. She has Japanese Bantams, Dutch Bantams and OEG bantams. Of course, all of these to me look very similar. What did I end up with? *5 months old

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    To me it looks like a Japanese bantam. I had a hen only, so no roosters. It also looks like it may have some Serama genes as well. Most likely not all serama. Since you got some of the second hand chickens, it may be a mix. [​IMG]

3. BEDUB RANCH

BEDUB RANCH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    She promised no way a mix. However, you're right as in they were the one's that she did not want to breed/show etc.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    He's a Japanese. His tail is tipped to far forward, very likely why the breeder didn't want to keep him.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like a good reason Gray Farms

6. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I could correct Silver's tail issues with; Mousse, Nail clipper, or Fishing weights. [​IMG]

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Afraid not, this is just the way he is. And he'll very likely pass it on to his offspring. He'll make a good pet or backyard flock rooster. But he can't be shown and shouldn't be used for breeding potential show birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by