1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with loud rooster!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elizabethjg, Mar 30, 2016.

1. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    I have a sex link rooster, but I can't have roosters where I live due to the crowing. Is there anything I can do to make him quiet? I've seen the NoCrowRoosterCollar on youtube, but some roosters are still very loud while wearing the collar. My rooster is a very large, and very loud boy. Any help is appreciated!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Sorry to suggest this, but re homing is about the only practical solution. He is too old to be turned into a capon, and there is an alternate solution, but it is gruesome and cruel, I WOULD NEVER DO.
    I cant keep roosters ether where I live.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Well thanks, and what's a capon?

4. Andrei

Andrei Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    Easy solution. Dinner is served.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    A capon is a rooster less than 10 weeks old that has its testicles removed. It grows up looking different than a rooster and does not crow. Read up on the subject of caponizing (There are threads here on BYC.) and you will know the procedure. Its not pleasant. Its done without anesthesia.

6. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Oh that sounds horrible!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't believe the no crow collars work. - When they first came out some collars were on too loose and the roosters got their toes caught in it, trying to get it off. If they are too tight it can choke the bird. I know there used to be a vet that offered de-crowed roosters for $ 200 each, various breeds. I think that's too much money for a bird that might not even be close to breed standards/ or may turn out to be aggressive etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by