Help with Mallard duckling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by XxShattered_AngelxX, May 5, 2009.

1. XxShattered_AngelxX

XxShattered_AngelxX New Egg

May 5, 2009
    We have some duck eggs, and after we saw a little hole, we waited for a while. It was almost 2 days, so we helped them to hatch a bit. 4 have come out, and they are all fine except for one. It has a bump on it's stomach, and it isn't moving around as well as the others, it just wants to curl up and sleep. Oh, and it hatched at 5 AM today (it is about 3:30 PM now). I have been holding it all day, keeping it warm and everything. It's eating a bit of mash and can move around a bit. It's peeping and has been keeping it's eyes open for about an hour or so. I read that I should keep it moist (the bump), and that I should put olive oil on it. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I did. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be because of how the air cell was? The air cell was tilted to the side, but I don't think that is the problem.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I'm not sure how to help. If you post in the section for other poultry, you may get more responses.

3. XxShattered_AngelxX

XxShattered_AngelxX New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Ok thanks, I'll do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by