Help with mealworms

Filswift

Hatching
Jul 11, 2019
I noticed just a few minutes ago some weird bugs (larvae and beetle) that look nothing like the mealworms I’ve been raising for around 2 years. They are small and have long spiky hairs on them? They look really creepy and are pretty hard to smash (I didn’t know if they were dangerous so I squished the two I found) just wondering if they were bad or if I should clean out my colony and if anybody knows what type of bug / beatle they are I’d love to know!! Thanks!

I noticed just a few minutes ago some weird bugs (larvae and beetle) that look nothing like the mealworms I’ve been raising for around 2 years. They are small and have long spiky hairs on them? They look really creepy and are pretty hard to smash (I didn’t know if they were dangerous so I squished the two I found) just wondering if they were bad or if I should clean out my colony and if anybody knows what type of bug / beatle they are I’d love to know!! Thanks!
Can you post a pic of them...I know you squished those but if you find anymore?

Like this? Thats a hairy fungus beatle which means u have some type of fungus and yes redo colony.
AAC19E01-1633-4418-8E69-CF976BD289BD.jpeg

Are we looking at possible dermestid beetles?
Could very well be, they do show up in mealworm farms.

if anybody knows what type of bug / beatle they are I’d love to know!! Thanks!
Next time you see one get it into a jar, then jar into the freezer for a couple hours so you can get good clear pics of it. Way too many insects to ID from a 'verbal' description.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Filswift
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-7-12_10-17-8.png

Back
Top Bottom