Help with mean Goose :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CLUKCLUKGOOSE13, Feb 4, 2013.

1. CLUKCLUKGOOSE13

CLUKCLUKGOOSE13 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi all, I am new to geese and chickens but loving it so far. I acquired 3 wonderful hens, an african goose, a gorgeous cat and a sweet bunny when I moved in with my wonderful boyfriend. The problem is....Peepers, our goose, he is 1 yr old and is getting mean. I know that geese can have their mean streaks...learned that when I was a kid. I have been with Peepers for 7 months now and he was always so loveable and also had his solitary moments but now he attacks everyone. We had always allowed him to roam freely during the day and put him up at night so the predators did not get him. Now we have to put him up during the day so that he does not attack anyone, especially our kids when they are getting on and off the bus from school. He gets to roam for a few hours in the evenings now. What is happening? He seems to be very healthy. We do not have any other geese and I was wondering if he is lonely :(. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. I would hate for us to have to find him a different home because he can be very entertaining...just now at a distance.
    Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. This is pretty common for breeding season. Even the nicest ganders get cranky when it comes to breeding. Once the hormone surges are gone from breeding season he will probably be calm again.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He/she is maturing, breeding season is approaching and his temperment is changing to match his maturity and preparation for 'nest' protection. As a kid I had a pet gander who was mellow until at 4 years old we got him some goslings to parent. He immediaely became a defensive father goose. He would calm down each year once his goslings were raised (we kept a goose out of that first batch and they paired up).

4. CLUKCLUKGOOSE13

CLUKCLUKGOOSE13 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks! He is definitely moody right now. Me and the girls can't walk out of the house without him going after us. I am sure some of our friends haven't stopped by lately because of him also. I was thinking about getting a sign that says "beware of GOOSE" :). Do you think we should look into adopting him a friend? He gets along with our chickens so far. We have built a chicken coop and the fence will be next when the cold weather gives us a break. He will have a nice fenced yard to play in lol.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Geese love companionship so adopting another goose would certainly be a plus.

6. CLUKCLUKGOOSE13

CLUKCLUKGOOSE13 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    thank you!!!! [​IMG]

7. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    Take a look at this thread. It looks like you and your kids need to show him who is the boss.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

We had to show Frankie who was boss a few times and now he is pleasant to be around. Sometimes he needs a little retraining though. [​IMG]

8. squirrelbug

squirrelbug Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Manson, WA
    Last year about this time my pilgrim gander (Clyde) went all ballistic with me and my husband, as well as the male alpacas that they were sharing their space with. I don't know how many times he was kicked by them for biting them in the legs....we got them moved into their own pen. (Luckily the alpacas have somewhat of a soft foot so there was no damage done)
    My husband decided that we had to get rid of them (Bonnie & Clyde) because he was constantly being attacked by Clyde. [​IMG]

I found the post mentioned above and have saved it to my computer. It saved me from having to get rid of them....Clyde realized really quick that he wasn't the one in charge, that I was as well as my husband (he's second in charge, lol)

About 3 weeks ago Clyde started trying to challenge us again, and I don't have a problem with him at all, but he does go after Jerry (I think he teases him, actually, so he doesn't get much sympathy from me!) I just have to spread my wings and tell him to behave himself and he will leave me alone and all is well. [​IMG] Love that gander!

It is very much worth reading and doing as is suggested! It really does work!!

Joanne

9. Alaskan Dragonfly

Alaskan Dragonfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Big Lake, Alaska
    Yes! This post made a HUGE difference for me!

10. CLUKCLUKGOOSE13

CLUKCLUKGOOSE13 New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you all!! I viewed the link and had my family check it out. It has helped a lot. So far the 'chest bumping' is all I have had to do. Now I think Peepers is enjoying teasing me. The kids are still a lil wary but I am hoping that watching me look and sound ridiculous when exerting my alpha role will help them try it.
    We have also been discussing adopting a friend for Peepers. :)
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by