Help with MHP - Got chicks today, getting cold tonight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Treerooted, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Treerooted

Treerooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    ON, Canada
    I'm looking for some reassurance or advice!!

I picked up my chicks today, so of course it's going to drop down to 3 tonight (36 F).
    I've read lots about the MHP but I couldn't seem to find anything about indicators that would let you know it was enough heat for the chicks (peeping?). I'm guessing everything's fine, but I'm in first-timers mode and am worrying about it

My concerns:

How do I know the MHP is warm enough for the chicks?

Here's my set up:

Piece of old fence with two heating pads to cover.
    One is a seed mat, the other is the large sunbeam, both will give continuous heat.
    Sweater on top with some press and seal for easier clean up.
    The whole thing is inside a large box
    Brooder is located in our large (unheated) shop
    There are 36 chicks

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, your MHP will keep your chicks warm enough.

Here are the things to do to be certain:

-Make sure the underside of the pads are the sides with the writing on it because it's warmer than the blank side.

-Make sure the pads are touching the chicks' backs.

-If it's the chicks' first two weeks, set it on the highest setting.

-Throw a wool blanket over the top of the entire setup to hold the heat in.

-Make sure that there are moveable flaps on all sides so if any chicks get crowded and piled on they get squirted out the sides instead of smothered.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. Treerooted

Treerooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    ON, Canada
    Thank you @azygous

I'm not sure if they are touching the chicks backs...I couldn't get it lower. Can you tell by the picture if it's an acceptable height?

I was worried about the crowding as well, but since it's in a box they would still get crowded into a corner...only without heat. Now I have a more worries [​IMG] I know a lot of MHP user don't have the two ends open, so I thought one entrance would be ok....

I used an old fleece sweater on top... do you figure I should add an extra layer?

The seed pad doesn't have adjustable settings so it's just "on", and the sunbeam goes up to "6" which is what I have it set to. I figured there's enough room around in there they could move to the most comfortable spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by