Help with Mixed Quail Gender please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by anderson8505, Feb 18, 2012.

1. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I know they're mixed, I just want to know your thoughts on gender. Thanks. 1/9/12 hatch date

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. anderson8505

no clues, huh? sheesh

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    A SIMPLE SEARCH HERE WILL TELL YOU THERE ARE A COUPLE OF COLORS OF COTURNIX QUAIL THAT ARE NOT COLOR SEXABLE... CONGRADULATIONS AS YOU HAVE POSTED ALMOST ALL OF THOSE COLORS HERE [​IMG]

I CAN TELL YOU THE ONLY 1 YOU HAVE POSTED HERE THAT IS COLOR SEXABLE IS THE GOLDEN IN YOUR 2ND PICTURE AND SHE IS A LOVELY LIL HEN

RANGE OR TIBETAN PATERN IS NOT COLOR SEXABLE, WHITES ARE ACTUALLY A SEVERLY PIED BIRD AND SINCE THE WHITE ON THEM IS AN ABSENSE OF COLOR THEY AGAIN ARE NOT COLOR SEXABLE... SORRY. [​IMG]

ON THE OTHER HAND ARE YOU A DRINKER?... LOL CAUSE THE BEST WAY TO FIGURE THIS OUT FOR THESE GUYS IS WHAT WE CALL BEER SEXING... BASICALLY GRAB A BEER OR 2 AND TAKE A SEAT... THE ONES WHO CROW ARE DEFINATELY A ROO, THE ONES ON TOP ARE LIKELY ROOS, THE ONES WHO LAY EGGS ARE DEFINATELY HENS. THE ONES ON BOTTOM ARE QUESTIONABLE AS A DOMINANT ROO WILL MOUNT A LESSER RANKED ROO FOR A SHOW OF DOMINANCE

4. anderson8505

Thanks, I'll have to try that.... [​IMG]

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    that first pic is great, pretty bird.

6. anderson8505

Come and get them all... not my thing!

Fun to hatch though, they just pop out of the shell ready to tackle the world.

7. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
  8. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    White You can't sex except by the noise they make and the foam on there vent. A simple test I do is turn them over just slightly push there vent and if no foam comes out female. If foam comes out its a male.

Also you can sex them by the noise they make. A female will make a soft noise like a cricket. Where a male is much louder sounding. Kind of like a little rooster crow.

Also females have a lot of speckles on there chest and males are lacking speckles on the chest.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They look like all girls except the white

OK AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT I GOTTA ASK.... HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by