Help with Muscovy Duckling Please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducksgoats, Jul 29, 2011.

1. chickensducksgoats

chickensducksgoats New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Sorry for the lack of introduction. I'm new here. I have two ducks that were on a nest. They first started laying their eggs in the same nest, then Momma A ran Momma B off once she started sitting on 22 eggs. Momma B layed 2 more and they have been there and just started to lay. The first 3 ducklings were pretty uneventful and they are doing fine. The fourth one acts like she was just out of the egg and it's been 2 days. It looks like a little seahorse to me in the face. I can only hold it's head up for a minute or so and his head wobbles. It's eyes barely open. I thought it was almost dead today so I started giving it evaporated milk and then water to rinse it's beak out. He can't stand up. I know that Momma stepped on him but he was like that before the time I saw that happen. I guess she may have done it more than once. She pushed all the other eggs out of the nest and abandoned them for about 24 hours. I then took the eggs and gave them to the Momma B. She is sitting on them but I'm not sure if it's too late.

Is it possible the ducklings egg got broken too early and that's why it's week? Any change the other eggs might hatch?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Sounds like it may have been an incubation problem. Sometimes ducklings are just born weak and fail to thrive. Try giving the duckling some boiled or scrambled eggs. Some poultry vitamins would probably be wise too. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

3. chickensducksgoats

chickensducksgoats New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    The little guy is gone. Had to bury him this morning. Thanks anyway. I had hoped and prayed that if he wouldn't make it that the Lord would take him last night and he did.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Aww so sorry but I'm sure for the best since thats what you asked for. Bless you and hope the others are doing great. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by