1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with my 3day turkey! one eye shut! not happy! I CAN'T SLEEP YET!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickfillhay, Jun 26, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    What can I do? My little baby was doing fine. But an hour ago she started squinting. Now one eye is closed and the other seem ok but squints periodically. Right now I'm hand feeding her chick feed until I can get something better. The feed store here only sell 50lb bags. But she seems unhappy. She looks for me or hubby whenever we're nearby. Then she gets a little more active. But not so good alone. The temp is around 98 to 100 degrees in there. Is that too hot for a turkey? My chicks did fine in this area? Can anybody help me get my little baby through the night? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If its medicated chick starter STOP!
    They cant eat that!
    Boil an egg or something till you get some turkey game food

3. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Thanks so much for replying! But alas! I don't give medicated feed to any of my birds. I ran out of eggs till morning and my girls didn't make any today. WAH! [​IMG]

4. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Oh good, You know about the med. feed
    I cant find non medicated around here.
    I hope your baby turkey makes it!
    So sorry she is sick, sounds like you are doing all you can

5. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Thanks Flowerpot. Is my temp right? It is now reading 97 degrees. It went down a notch. And what is the right way to teach a chick to eat? I wet the food to make it easy for it to go down. But it is really hard to get her to eat! And I am worried she is getting dehydrated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by