Help with my Brahma rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlazeOfGlory, Oct 20, 2013.

1. BlazeOfGlory

BlazeOfGlory Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Callands Virginia
    I have a 3 year old Dark Brahma that has stopped crowing, his face is pale and if I get close I can hear garguling when he breathes... What can I do and what could it be? He is eating and drinking.

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    send a pic, and is his poo ok

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (CRD,) or coryza. He also sounds anemic. I would check him all over especially under the vent for lice or mite eggs. Does he need worming? Is he molting? Here is some info on the above respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. BlazeOfGlory

BlazeOfGlory Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Callands Virginia
    He was wormed recently and he is molting. This is my first time with a respiratory issue... Thank you for the help

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan50 injectable is a good medicine to start with. It can be given as a shot into the breast daily 1 ml dose, or very carefully can be given orally straight. Only give a little at a time letting him swallow. Oxytetracycline in the water would be another medication. Duramycin 10 is another one to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by