Help with my broodies!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by annaclaireirene, Aug 25, 2014.

1. annaclaireirene

annaclaireirene Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    I have a white Japanese bantam. She went broody and has been sitting on this one clutch of eggs for over a week now. I candles the eggs and all are doing well. My easter egger hen has been kicking the broody little hen out and laying there everyday. I take the eggs after and now my red sex link hen is trying to sit on the eggs. What should I do with this?! I have no clue whether or not I should move the teeny broody inside by herself and let her finish hatching her babies or what??

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You should probably separate the broody hen with her eggs. Sounds like the others are going to wreak havoc on that nest. Eggs are going to start being broke.

When it's dark and calm, put her in a large crate with bedding if you have it. Just kind of gently push on her so she feels the eggs underneath. (doesn't take much just a slight wiggle)

If you can't separate her then I would try to make a barrier around the nest she is in. That would depend on what kind of set up you have. Do you have extra boxes for the other girls?

1 person likes this.
  3. annaclaireirene

Mar 6, 2014
    [​IMG]
    We have several nesting boxes for the girls but they always choose this one spot. And of course where this little hen chooses to vacate. Haha. It's a large rabbit hutch that we use for transition of chicks and ducklings going outside. But the problem is, the hens will stand outside the gate where she is and will cluck for at least an hour and won't give up. They just keep pestering her.

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hmm. What if you put up a curtain part way up? That way they can't see her or the favorite spot. I'm sure they're going to be upset for a while, but I think they either have to be kept out or she has to be moved. It looks spacious enough, but the problem comes in from them bullying her off the nest and trying to steal it.

5. annaclaireirene

Mar 6, 2014
    Okay thankyou! Now, if I moved her into say a dog crate with food and water, I would of course do it at night. But how would you move the hen without her getting extremely upset?

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Just stay real quiet. I do it in the dark. First I move the eggs, then I move the hen. Then just check on her in the morning to see if she's settled.

7. annaclaireirene

Mar 6, 2014
    Alright. Thank you!! I'll try it tonight

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by