Help with my broody baby!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken266, Sep 7, 2014.

1. chicken266

chicken266 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    hello,
    recently my lovely chicken hazel has become broody.
    I've read online about the cold ice bucket and I'm willing to try but it doesn't look so promising.
    other than trapping it in wired cage is there any other ideas?
    [​IMG]
    i go to collect eggs from her and she won't peck me but just fluffs up.
    can anyone tell me when i go in eggs surround her and i think that my other chickens are laying on top of her for the best nest!
    i was thinking of putting her with my baby chickens in a new cage once they are around 8 weeks?!

is that a good idea?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This broody is on her second hatch this summer [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here she has her chicks in with the other adults [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The new fluff balls September 2014 [​IMG]

Every thing depends on your flock as my poultry are use to having babys around and just put up with it as a normal part of the day ......

[​IMG]
    These are some chicks who hatched in the incubator and are
    in the introduction cage at three weeks old last February as it
    was just to warm here to have them in the house much longer ..

They went in to main population at 5 weeks of age ...

[​IMG]
    Here they are at 5 weeks ...

[​IMG]
    I am checking them out sor pot size [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is what they look like up close at 6 weeks .....

gander007 [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The wire bottom cage is the most effective method that I know off. It takes on average 3 days in the cage to break a broody. Don't give her anything but food and water, i.e. no nesting materials! Good luck!

4. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I tried the broody dunk in cold water and if she is a really determined broody, it won't work. The cage method is the best way, but you don't have to keep it elevated. (this helps to quicken the cooling of the brood patch.) If you want to, you can cage her, but keep her out of the coop day and night. No sight of the coop. Put her in the garage or shed for a couple days. This displacement can help them to break the broody cycle. But only keep her away from the flock for about 3 days so the remember her. Any less and she will go back to being broody, any more and they may start to forget her. And don't let her out of this cage at all for 3 full days.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! there is a nice article in the Learning Center that has some tips for discouraging them, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/encouraging-or-discouraging-broodiness-in-your-hens X3 I like to use the wire cage method mentioned, usually a wire dog crate, I like to put roosts in because the wire is usually spaced wide enough that they can't stand/sit on it comfortably (most dog crates seem to be around 1x4" spacing). and keep the crate in the middle of the coop/barn isle where thing are really busy, you want the hen to be bothered. For food and water I like to use small bowls I hang from the sides since some hens will sit in bowls on the floor.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

The above posters have given you good advice. Good luck with breaking your broody hen!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Gander has given you great advice. Remember, to break a broody, you have to be more stubborn than she is!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Get one of those big Blue ice blocks - stores sell to keep food cold for picnics. Put that at the bottom of the cage with just a light towel over it. She will feel the cold for several hours and that should change her mind about being broody. I don't think dunking in an ice bath is a good thing to do - for people or animals. Too much of a shock to the system. The hard blue ice pack will just make her very uncomfortable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by