Help with my chickens crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamahen86, Sep 2, 2016.

1. mamahen86

mamahen86 New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    My 20 week old EE seems to have something wrong with her crop. I don't think its impacted because it feels gritty and mailable when I massage it. But I'm worried about sour crop. She seems ok, sticking with the flock, she just started laying yesterday. But I noticed a few days ago her crop seemed larger than the others. Checked her this morning and it was still large right when I went out before they ate. I'm not sure what to do. Im new at this! Never had chickens til now. Any advice? Should I watch her for a few more days? I've gone out and massed it a few times in case it's impacted. I gave her water with apple cider vinegar in it too. [​IMG]

2. mamahen86

mamahen86 New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    I meant massaged not massed

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    If I noticed this in one of my girls I would seperate so I could monitor her poop. Watch for undigested bits of grass/greens in her poop or liquid poop (combined with a large crop this indicates that solids are not making it through... only liquids) Provide plain water, grit and chicken food only (no treats) and remove food at night so you can check for an empty crop first thing in morning. Does her crop feel sort of like clay? Like when you sqeeze it it sort of stays in that shape? I have had great success with an epsom salt drench-1/2 tsp epsom salt in 1/4 cup water, mix well and syringe as much as possible into beak a small bit at a time. It is a laxative and your bird will be very thirsty. I remove food when I do this and provide plain water only. Massage crop in a downward motion as often as you can. If you don't see a change in poop or feel a noticeable difference in her crop in a few hours I would do the epsom salt treatment again. Let us know how she's doing and good luck.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by