HELP WITH MY COCKATIEL!

kkdd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 18, 2013
HE IS AGGRESSIVE AND WONT EAT ANYTHING BUT SEEDS AND WATER HE NEVER PLAYS WITH HIS TOYS AND HE IS NOT SICK HE PLUCKS HIS FEATHERS
HELP
sad.png

HE IS AGGRESSIVE AND WONT EAT ANYTHING BUT SEEDS AND WATER HE NEVER PLAYS WITH HIS TOYS AND HE IS NOT SICK HE PLUCKS HIS FEATHERS
HELP
sad.png
Plucking feathers is due to stress. Something in his environment is causing him fear. So you need to assess his cage location...is he too close to the window where there are outdoor birds like hawks, crows, ect...scaring him? Is he not getting enough sunlight, too much sunlight? Are there kids harrassing him? Dogs scaring him? Not getting enough sleep...and too close to the tv? A bright white light annoying him?

Getting him to eat a better diet takes time. If you want him to eat a pellet diet, switch him over slowly by mixing half and half for one week. The next week, remove more of the seeds and put in more pellets. The next week after that, put more pellets in and even less seeds and after about one month, he should be eating pellets.

Also, offer him up some human food. You might want to feed him on top of his cage when you eat dinner or breakfast. Feed him some noodles, rice, lettuce, corn, peas, etc...he may be lacking things in his diet that is causing him stress.

Health can effect his attitude too. If you suspect an illness, you might take him to a vet for a check up.

And finally, you need to spend some time with him. He may be incredibly lonely. At first he may lash out at you and bite. But be patient with him. Teach him the step up command and get him on your finger. Take him out of his cage and let him wander around on the couch or a bed. Let him look outside on a window sill. Let him know you mean him no harm and that hanging out with humans is a fun thing.

Good luck with your baby. :)

Last edited:
I am an avian behaviour consultant and worked for 11 years at an avian vet clinic. You cannot say that your bird is not sick if it is feather plucking and has these behavioural issues and has not had a thorough veterinary exam by a vet who is qualified in avian medicine, Has anyone done cultures and fecals? Has anyone checked for lice, mites, or intestinal parasites? In addition to working at my vet, I was in charge of one of the MidWest's largest avian rescue center and had over 250 rescue parrots over here through the years, many of them feather pickers, none of those Cockatiels. Your bird needs to be seen by a qualified avian veterinian and be put on an appropriate diet ASAP - and THEN start to work on his aggression issues - health comes first and impacts the latter.

I would be glad to consult with you professionally but first you need some immediate local help. Please get your Tiel medically worked up, and if you desire further assistance, do not hesitate to contact myself or another certified, credentialed behaviour consultant. Good luck, your bird needs your help.

Dorene

Back
Top Bottom