Help with my hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heartlandrabbitry, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    I thought my hen was a Rhode Island White, then someone said she may be a Cornish? Any help as to what my hen may be? [​IMG] Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That would be me. I said she looks it, which I find beautiful. Otherwise she just may be though. Is her comb flat and broad or does it have three definite rows of bumps?

Did you get her from a hatchery?

3. Heartlandrabbitry

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Quote:I was talking about someone else [​IMG]
    It's flat, doesn't have noticeable rows of bumps - No we did not get her from a hatchery, we got her from our feed store as a 'Grab bag'

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Then she's a Rhode Island White. And congrats - Most hatcheries sell single combed Whites, which honestly A) doesn't exist in the breed standards and B) is likely a mutt in my opinion.

5. Heartlandrabbitry

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Quote:Awesome! Thank you for your help! [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I still disagree and say she looks like some oriental breed. Notice that even though shes probably young, she has hardly any wattles or comb, that is characteristic of oriental game breeds.

Look through and post here on this thread or PM and ask some of the Oriental breeders like CUDA or saladin what they think about her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=106767&p=187

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. Heartlandrabbitry

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Quote:Ok, I will. Thanks

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree with you. I also noticed that she has hard dense feathering. ( that puts me back in the mind of a cornish)

9. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I think she looks like a cornish (cross) look at the size of those legs!

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I agree with you. I also noticed that she has hard dense feathering. ( that puts me back in the mind of a cornish)

Yep, she is close to a cornish but she doesnt have the "bulldog" face of the cornish so I'm leaning more towards the other slimmer looking orientals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by