1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with my Mallard duckling, I'm not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by XxShattered_AngelxX, May 5, 2009.

1. XxShattered_AngelxX

XxShattered_AngelxX New Egg

May 5, 2009
    We have some duck eggs, and after we saw a little hole, we waited for a while. It was almost 2 days, so we helped them to hatch a bit. 4 have come out, and they are all fine except for one. It has a bump on it's stomach, and it isn't moving around as well as the others, it just wants to curl up and sleep. Oh, and it hatched at 5 AM today (it is about 3:30 PM now). I have been holding it all day, keeping it warm and everything. It's eating a bit of mash and can move around a bit. It's peeping and has been keeping it's eyes open for about an hour or so. I read that I should keep it moist (the bump), and that I should put olive oil on it. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I did. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be because of how the air cell was? The air cell was tilted to the side, but I don't think that is the problem.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like you are doing the right things. The bump is the yolk sac and it isn't totally absorbed yet. The duck may have just not developed properly and it might still die. This could explain why you had to help it hatch.

Since you got it to eat and are keeping it warm, it might still have a chance. Just don't beat yourself up if the little guy doesn't make it.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. XxShattered_AngelxX

May 5, 2009
    I got up at 3am to check on him and he absorbed almost all the yoke sack and took a drink of water. He is trying to stand, but is still hunched over. Do you think he came out too early and this is why he is still hunched over? or he is, well in the nicest way, retarded?

Also I have 2 eggs left and they are cracked and I can see their beeks. It has been 24 hours now and I'm afraid to help them. A web site said to help them a little after 12 hours, but I have one little guy not doing well and 3 doing great and I feel that I did something wrong.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    That yoke should be absorbed before they hatch. If he was early because of your help he is just finishing up what he should have done in the egg. That yoke will provide him food and water for about 48 hours.

5. XxShattered_AngelxX

May 5, 2009
    So are you not supose to help them after 12 hours as i read on a hatching web site. I did help after 24 hours. What should I do with the other 2 eggs hatching?

thanks for your help.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Well I am a mean hearted old man that doesn't believe in helping ducklings out at the hatch. JMO that a duck that needs help tends to remain inferior for life. Pet bird? your birds, your choice! I was just trying to explain what I thought was going on with your bird.

7. XxShattered_AngelxX

May 5, 2009
    well i apreciate your help and anyone who helps animals can't be mean and grouchy.
    thanks

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It can take 24-36 hours after a pip before they hatch out.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Start giving it water with some vitamins and electrolytes dissolved in the water. That should help.

10. XxShattered_AngelxX

May 5, 2009
    thanks to all. its amazing after a few hours. this afternoon he started peeping and running around and eating mash on his own. it is night now and he has now joined his siblings. I don't agree with helping them hatch after 12 hours. my bathroom is now a nursery and they really like the hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by