Help with my Mystery chicks (Pics.)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clacasse88, Jul 11, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Another MPC mystery assortment. I received one beginning of June and this is my July 6 batch. What are your guesses?

Pic. 1 One of a kind
    [​IMG]

Pic. 2 Assorted
    [​IMG]

Pic. 3 Smoky yellow (only one)
    [​IMG]

Pic. 4 Black with white & yellow -- reminds me of a penguin
    [​IMG]
    I have several black & white chicks, some black & yellow and some black, yellow & white. Very different face coloring too.

Pic. 5 Mix
    [​IMG]

What do you think? These are supposed to be all pullets . . . standard fowl. My last batch it appears I have Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rocks, etc. Still waiting for more feathering. It's fun. I have to stop though and as much as I'd like to order another early August hatch, I'm done for this year.

This batch definitely has more one-of-a-kind chicks in the assortment.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

It has occurred to me that the hatcheries just LOVE making us play "guess the breed and gender"! I'm far from being an expert, but looks as if you have several barred rocks, black sex links, and some white leghorns. We'll see what the more experienced BYCers say!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. br64

br64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Soooooo cute!!! I don't dare show my son these pics or we'll be headed for the feed store first thing in the morning,haha

Not sure but it looks like you may have a couple of RIR's in there as well.

4. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:They are very cute & sent a nice assortment in June. . . thus, I found the need to do it again in July. I must say, "I'm done" and no more will be coming in August . . . even though I would but I don't dare ask my husband to build another coop. [​IMG]

5. br64

br64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Quote:They are very cute & sent a nice assortment in June. . . thus, I found the need to do it again in July. I must say, "I'm done" and no more will be coming in August . . . even though I would but I don't dare ask my husband to build another coop. [​IMG]

LOL, the last time I mentioned bringing home more chicks my DH just shook his head and said " so you're telling me you need a bigger coop huh"[​IMG]

6. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    #1 could be a Golden Sebright...

7. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    i dont know what they are but they look preety cute and fluffy

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I see maybe some Speckled Sussex (Pic 5 in the back), the yellow one may be a delaware, Black sex link, Barred rock, Australorp (black & white with no dot on head), Red Sex link (yellow color with 2 orange stripes down the back) and a Production Red.

9. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:That's why I ended up with my 2nd batch of chicks, because the 1st one was soo cute [​IMG]

10. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:I agree with the SS as my first batch had them and they look very similar. I was hoping someone would say Australorp as all of the black & white ones are all so very different. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by