Help with my Polish girl!

Candacestlouis

Songster
Jan 1, 2021
Aberdeen, WA
I have 3 polish girls who are 10 months old. Recently on of my girls started sleeping on a roost out in the run instead of the coop. The run is secure so I’m not worried about her safety but I feel bad for her having to sleep alone. She’s perfectly healthy and seems to get along with the 2 other girls during the day so I don’t know what the problem is. I’ve tried putting her up in the coop around bed time with the others but she just comes back down to her spot. What should I do?

If weather conditions are cold, I would lock her in the coop at night. As a matter of fact, regardless of weather conditions I would lock her in the coop as long as there is adequate roost space.
It’s in the 40s but they are used to much colder. There is plenty of roost space though. I just feel bad locking her in there especially if there is a possibility of her being bullied?

How big is the coop? How much roost space is there, and how many bars?

If she's getting (possibly) bullied off the roost, having a 2nd bar that's not too close to the first may give her more options.
The coop is large for just the three of them and I did add a second bar just in case. Tonight I waited till it was dark and went out and set her on that second bar and she actually stayed there. Maybe she just likes it best in the run? Maybe I’m butting in where I shouldn’t and just leave her be? Lol

The coop is large for just the three of them and I did add a second bar just in case. Tonight I waited till it was dark and went out and set her on that second bar and she actually stayed there. Maybe she just likes it best in the run? Maybe I’m butting in where I shouldn’t and just leave her be? Lol

Good to hear.

She might like it better in the run (or maybe bullying was an issue, we'll see) but one thing I don't compromise on is making sure the chickens are in the coop for the night. Even if they don't roost, I want them inside and locked up. Even if you feel that your run is secure, it's just an extra layer of protection.

I have 3 polish girls who are 10 months old. Recently on of my girls started sleeping on a roost out in the run instead of the coop. The run is secure so I’m not worried about her safety but I feel bad for her having to sleep alone. She’s perfectly healthy and seems to get along with the 2 other girls during the day so I don’t know what the problem is. I’ve tried putting her up in the coop around bed time with the others but she just comes back down to her spot. What should I do?
Put her up again.

Chickens can't see in the dark so maybe she can't get on the roost. That's were you come in.

The coop is large for just the three of them and I did add a second bar just in case.
How big, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Did all three birds grow up together?
Is she the only floppytopped bird?
Sometimes they have difficulty navigating the pecking order as they often cannot see well.

Back
Top Bottom