Help with my Rhode Island Reds

ChickenMama17

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Burlington, IL
Hello! I have three Rhode Island Reds in my flock - ordered three females... Well all three are not looking the same. I was not able to get a recent picture of them all in one shot - they are 14 weeks old now. I'm scared one is a roo which would really throw off our boys to girls ratio. What do you think they are? Thanks for your help!

Hello! I have three Rhode Island Reds in my flock - ordered three females... Well all three are not looking the same. I was not able to get a recent picture of them all in one shot - they are 14 weeks old now. I'm scared one is a roo which would really throw off our boys to girls ratio. What do you think they are? Thanks for your help!

I would say the top two are pullets and the bottom one is a cockerel. But I'm still new at this.

Ordered? As in ordered where? True bred, Standard bred RIR are almost the exclusive domain of the devotees and breeders. Hatcheries just don't have the quality of a true bred Red.

The bird in the bottom photo is not a RIR. I've no idea what the mix is, however. The top photo shows the possibility of nicer birds, but quite honestly, the photo is a group shot from too far away and the birds are in the dark shadows.

Profile, close up shots work the best in this internet medium.

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I believe I may have a similar debacle. I just purchased a 'RIR' myself that I question is a RIR after reading several posts.

She is 13 weeks old. Her legs are awful white. She is also much bigger than the Cinnamon Queen and White Rock I got with her at 13 weeks old.
If someone knows what she is other than a RIR, I'm ok with it. Let me have it.
I got them from a local breeder not a hatchery. Not sure if parent stock are hatcheries or further generations.

A few of my hens had combs and wattles that size at 14 weeks. They don't look very red to me. Both my Roos were way darker and bigger by that age. Could be a fast grower.

Ordered? As in ordered where? True bred, Standard bred RIR are almost the exclusive domain of the devotees and breeders. Hatcheries just don't have the quality of a true bred Red.

The bird in the bottom photo is not a RIR. I've no idea what the mix is, however. The top photo shows the possibility of nicer birds, but quite honestly, the photo is a group shot from too far away and the birds are in the dark shadows.

Profile, close up shots work the best in this internet medium.

They were ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery. I ordered what was called Rhode Island Reds http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/rhode_island_reds.html I ordered three females. Will work to get a better picture tomorrow. Now that they are so big it is difficult to get them to sit still for a picture and they are not the easiest ones to catch! :)

Here's some more shots of the one in question and one of the ones i think is a pullet. These were taken on 6-28-13 though so they were a bit smaller, but the differences were still apparent.

These are diff. breed but, see how much more red these guys are. The second one's pea comb is bigger than yours. These pics are at 14 weeks exactly.

Maybe I'm optimistic but, I hope it turns out in your favor.

I will definitely have to take better pictures tomorrow! I think this one definitely has tail feathers that are more upright than the other two, but they don't always seem to be up... I don't know!! Really hoping that Reba is actually a girl!!!

Took more pictures this morning. Never realized how difficult it was to get a good photo of a chicken!!!

Autumn

All 3 - Autumn in front, Reba in back and Peanut Butter on the right

Peanut Butter

Reba (the one in question)

Let me know if I need to try to take more photos. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom