Help with my roo please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katbird01, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Katbird01

Katbird01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    This morning when cleaning the poop tray I noticed some very watery poop, with blood in it. At least 2 spots. When I let the chickens out to free range for a little while I noticed the rooster's comb and wattles were black. He was out less than a minute and sat down rather than foraging. His comb turned back mostly red in the time he was out. When I put him back in he almost instantly laid down.

He's about a year old. A Buff Orpington. I also have 4 BO hens and 2 OEG banty hens, none of which appear affected. We dewormed everybody about a month ago with Valbazen.

We are going to fix up a cage and bring the roo in for the night. Any suggestions on what might be the problem and ways to treat it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat them all for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days. Make sure that he is drinking it, or you need to syringe feed him. Dosage is 2 tsp. of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of powder to a gallon of water, and make fresh daily. After finishing treatment give a few days of vitamins, a bit of chopped kale for vitamin K, and some probiotics. Did you give them a second dose of Valbazen 10 days after you wormed them?

3. Katbird01

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    I looked at the TSC website and the Corid they have is for cows. Is that the same you use for chickens? I was going to bring him in and give him probiotics and electrolytes. Will it hurt to give the Corid with those?

We did not do the 2nd dose of Valbazen. I'm kicking myself now. I have to take my cat to the vet on Monday. I may take a stool sample from the chickens and see if he'll do a float test on it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes that is the same Corid--it is a cattle medicine. Don't mix electrolytes with the Corid water. Be sure a get some cecal and regular poo for your sample.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Katbird01

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    Thanks. I'll go pick that up now.

6. Katbird01

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the advice. We started on the Corid on Saturday and roo is looking better, as is the poop. Took a sample to the vet today and he does have coccidiosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by