Help with my roosters feet (Pics included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1027, Mar 14, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I've got a D'uccle rooster with what I believe to be scaly leg mites and I have been treating as such but I've had a few people on this site as well as local say that it may not so I thought I would post pics and see if you more experienced chicken folk can help me out with this one.

I have been putting his feet in legs in vegetable oil for the last few days and I treated them with ivomectin last week but I haven't noticed any change yet. He has some red sore places on his legs that won't heal and always hesitates when taking a step. If anyone has any advice or tips I would appreciate it. I just want my rooster to feel better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

the scales don't really looked raised like with leg mites but hard to tell since he has feathers.. have you been putting any kind of antibiotic salve on his legs? like neosporin w/o pain relief or it's generic? also what does the bottom of his feet look like? might need to keep his legs smeared up real good with something like neo, for a while if he has some sore places on them could be some kind of infection..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Could be the beginnings of scaly leg mites.....Take some petroleum jelly (Vasceline), stir in some poultry dust, and rub it all over his feet and legs twice a day.

Do this until everything looks back to normal.

Sharon

4. blitz1027

blitz1027 Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Thanks for the tips. He really seems to enjoy the vegetable oil on his legs so I'm guessing he finds it soothing or something.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    What is the bubble/swollen area on the base of the toe on HIS left foot? Almost looks like a mini bumblefoot spot.

6. blitz1027

blitz1027 Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    That's actually his toe on the back of his foot

7. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I agree with the vasceline and poultry dust treatment. Don't put it on the areas that are red and raw. Clean those areas with peroxide and put neosporin on the sores. I think the poultry dust would sting like a son of a gun when exposed to raw skin.

Before you do the treatment wash his legs/feet with a mild shampoo and warm water to start off with a nice clean area to treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: