Help with my town code

NYchickie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Hi All!!!
My family is really interested in getting some chickens in our backyard....probably 4-6 total. I have just over an acre of land (1.28, to be exact). I do want this to be above board since I live in a development and I'm SURE some of my neighbor's wouldn't hesitate to rat me out. I emailed my town code enforcer but all he did was send me the code, which of course i'd already read online. I've emailed him back asking specifically for my situation, but since his office hours are something ridiculous (mon-thu, 10-2) I'm not expecting a response til next week.

the code reads:

Not more than 12 adult or fully grown chickens, ducks,
geese or other fowl or birds of any type, rabbits or other small farm
animals, or a combination thereof, shall be kept on a nonfarm parcel of less
than five acres in any zoning district.

My hubby is reading this as we can't have more than 12 birds, so our getting 4 should be ok.

Is it just wishful thinking on his part? What do you Guys think??

Thanks,
Val

Val,

Be certain that your coop doesn't violate any required lot line setbacks and that if you need a permit you get it before you build, etc... etc... etc .... also as has been mentioned make sure you didn't agree to not have chickens via a homeowners agreement or covenants and restrictions.

If you find covenants and restrictions all is not always lost as sometimes the clauses in them are mooted by law.

Wow...Thanks guys!

We don't technically have a homeowners association, so I'm all set there.

Now we just have to pick a breed and look up some coop plans!

Thanks again!

Val

Quote:
You might wish to review the site records at the registry of deeds for the development as that is where any covenants and restrictions would be on file. There should be references to any in the deed filed when the seller signed the property over to you.

Got to dot the i s and cross the t s. Don't leave anything to chance because if you do someone somewhere will dreg it up and use it.

Thanks Fox, I justed texted hubby. We are the original owners of the house and he doesn't recall any deed restrictions when we closed. That was 7 years ago though, so he promised he'd double check tonight.

thanks for the nudge!

Val

Back
Top Bottom