help with mystery chick breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sharol, Aug 2, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    The girls are now 3 weeks old and I finally got a good picture of the comb of my mystery chick. When my chicks arrived 3 weeks ago, one was DOA. I have identified (pretty confidently) all but 3 of the chick breeds (maybe 2). She is an Easter Egger, a Partridge Plymouth Rock, or a Golden Laced Wyandotte (don't think it is this one).

First, my chick I have identified as a GLW:
    [​IMG]

The following 3 pictures are of my mystery chick (Misty):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone identify the comb? It doesn't look exactly like a single comb (most of the chicks have clearly single combs), but I'm so new at this, I can't be sure. It isn't clear from any of the photos, but she seems to have darkish legs -- clearly not yellow, orange, or white.

To repeat, is she a PR or an EE? Or am I wrong about the GLW?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    You are right about your GLW, and that one should have a rose comb. As for your mystery chick, I believe it is a PR, though I am not real familiar with them so hopefully someone else knows more than I.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    It's definately a single comb, looks like a Partridge rock, that's what my juvenile PR's looked like... beautiful birds![​IMG]

4. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Thanks for the input. Does she look like a girl to you? I'm getting paranoid.

Quote:

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Partridge Rock and too early to tell on sex.

6. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I would say Misty is either a Barnevelder or a Partridge Rock. What color legs does Misty have?

7. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    brownish green or slate. Definitely not yellow or orange. They are darker on the top of the feet and lighter on the bottoms. That is what is contradictory in the info. Her comb is odd too. It isn't upright like the other chicks with single combs, but it isn't flat like the EE's comb either. It is very small and about the same color as her legs -- slateish (if that is a word).

She could be a PR or an EE if they got the order right (and usually they do, I understand, at MPC). As a hatchery chick, anything is possible though with the comb and shank colors.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by