Help with neighbors Alpaca PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DuckyBoys, Jun 10, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My neighbors are out of town and my son is feeding their animals for them.

Problem - those crazy alpacas won't let us in the yard! He stands on his hind legs and tries to strike us!

What should we do? They had a little hay left last night but we will have to go inside the pen today for sure. The neighbors won't be home until Friday.

Someone pelase advise.... [​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    can you call the neighbour and explain the situation? Me thinks yo dont want to mess with an alpaca--very protective...

3. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are in Mexico!

I guess I will take over some of our hay and just give them that. We can't get into the barn to get their hay.

So can these alpacas - who are eating a lower end grass hay I beleive- have a grass alfalfa mix? If I just give one flake for the two of them?

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, if you can't get in, you can't! Dump hay inside the pen and buckets of water. You can't accomplish anything if your jeprodizing your own safety. Can your son go on one side of the corral to keep them busy, possibly treats while you run in to tend to them. Take a piece of flat wood, like you would drive a pig into a corner (?) put them in the barn by opening doors and one of you close them in until your done....Good Luck!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Are you sure it is an alpaca and not a llama that is being aggressive? Alpacas are generally not the aggressive ones. My office mate, who has alpacas, says she wouldn't worry about it, as they can't hurt you that much. Just go in boldly.
    It's possible they have a llama in there, however, and that could hurt you!

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm with chickbea on this. I raise llamas and my neighbor has a large alpaca ranch. Personally, if it's really an alpaca I'd just march in and go about business. You want to have a second person there just to make sure that you didn't run into that very, very rare aggressive alpaca.

If it's a llama it could do serious damage to you or your son. Don't go in.

Alpacas should not have alfalfa - it's too high of protein for them. However, in your situation getting them fed for a week or so is more important then the alfalfa (especially since it's a mix). If you can't or won't go in to get their own hay then throw yours over the fence until the owners get home.

7. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well - OK but I know for sure they are alpacas! Lol...he scared me! [​IMG] He was making these weird grunting noises and hurling himself against the gate...I will take pictures tonight...wait and see! [​IMG]

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Duckyboy - How is it going? I've been thinking about you and feeding those Alpacas.

That boy sounds and acts like my male llama I have here for breeding right now. When he sees a girl he stands on his hind legs, makes some pretty interesting noises and then charges the fence. Could there be a female around and that boy is an intact male?

I also wanted to add that my 12 yr. old daughter works for our neighbors Alpaca ranch. She's been over there twice this week without the adults there (it's within sight of our house) to do chores and I have absolutely no concerns about her being in with the animals, even their stud as he's a sweetie.

9. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well I sent my son over with a flake of our hay - I was in our back pasture with my animals but I could see. The alpaca didn't do anything this time - but my son was very careful - just barely opened the gate and threw it in!

I dunno - I've never sen him do that - they see me everyday we share a pasture fence. Maybe it was because of our little dog who was with my son at the time.

At any rate - all is well and they will be home Friday.

Thanks for your concern!

Julie

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Although Alpacas are generally guarded by llamas or other guard animals that Alpaca could certainly been reacting to the dog.

Glad it went better this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by