Help with nesting box size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TACEYPERKINS, Mar 3, 2009.

1. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    We are going to be building our nesting boxes, what size should we make them? I am going to be raising large birds( b/c Marans) and easter eggers. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    12 X 12 X 12 is plenty large and make it dark... they like it like that.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    [​IMG] OH first!!! Happy to meet you! Glad you're here!! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy our company!! [​IMG] WELCOME to BYC!!!

Mine are two different sizes, I have one that's more like 14x14 then right next to it one that's 14 deep, by 26 wide, then another that's a 14x14 again. A good friend that has great success has his that large size and his hens love it, so I remodeled mine and most like the larger size. It's actually a little more than 26 wide, so I could devide it again if I needed to, but they love the wider one. I should have made only the one 'normal' sized one plus the wider one, they mostly use the wider one, a few like the one 'square' one and totally ignore the second square one.

Mine don't care how dark they are either, but I agree that sometimes it's a good thing. I just figured if I needed to I could do something about it. I don't like 'dark' much and figured I could do something about it at a later date if need be.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  4. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    Thanks for the great advice! I cant wait to put it to use~ Tacey

5. tdstim

tdstim Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Great info. I think I may try the wider box and them put a divider in if i have problems.
    I have also heard the make them dark before, so I think I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by