help with new adult guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by klesoine, May 10, 2009.

1. klesoine

klesoine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    I just received 5 year old guinea fowl that needed a home. I'm not sure how many females/male but I have gotten 3 eggs so obviously at least one is a female. I have them in a pen in the barn and they seem very comfortable with my presence. Whoever had them obviously spent time with them. Tomorrow will be a week that they are in captivity. I feed them fruit, cracked corn, greens and turkey feed twice a day. I was told to keep them penned up for two weeks before releasing them. Would love to hear from anyone about your thoughts because I would really like to keep them around and have a wonderful place for them to be. What do I need to know?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I hope you don't have any neighbors nearby. Guineas are very vocal when they are loose. Also, if you turn them loose, you will not be able to find their nests if you want their eggs for any reason.

3. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I love my guineas. I'd keep them in for a LOT longer than 2 weeks- more like a month. Really. Guineas= no smart. They'll take off and never come back. They do like to roam, sometimes quite far. I got mine as juveniles, and kept them in for a month. They come home at night to roost with the chickens. The female will still lay her eggs somewhere I can't find- she will NOT lay in the barn.

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I keep mine penned at least 6 weeks before I try to let them out. They do take a long time to learn anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by