help with new adult guinea fowl

klesoine

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
I just received 5 year old guinea fowl that needed a home. I'm not sure how many females/male but I have gotten 3 eggs so obviously at least one is a female. I have them in a pen in the barn and they seem very comfortable with my presence. Whoever had them obviously spent time with them. Tomorrow will be a week that they are in captivity. I feed them fruit, cracked corn, greens and turkey feed twice a day. I was told to keep them penned up for two weeks before releasing them. Would love to hear from anyone about your thoughts because I would really like to keep them around and have a wonderful place for them to be. What do I need to know?

I love my guineas. I'd keep them in for a LOT longer than 2 weeks- more like a month. Really. Guineas= no smart. They'll take off and never come back. They do like to roam, sometimes quite far. I got mine as juveniles, and kept them in for a month. They come home at night to roost with the chickens. The female will still lay her eggs somewhere I can't find- she will NOT lay in the barn.

Back
Top Bottom