Help with new baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dotworker666, May 7, 2011.

1. dotworker666

dotworker666 New Egg

May 7, 2011
    I just came home with 6 pullets from TSC store for my 5 yr. old daughter. They were on sale for 75 cents & just too cute. Things are going good till today when I spotted one has some blood on chest & other birds are pecking at it. They did have some purple dye on wings& back sort of bald back there, but nothing like this, if anyone can help or shed some info on this ,it would be very helpfull,,Thanks Kenny

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    How big is your brooder? They may be too cramped. The dye on their head is to tell breeds/genders apart

3. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Purple dye could also be where they were already picking at each other. They need to have enough room for all of them as well as enough eating room at the feeder.
    Good luck!

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    The one with blood on him you should separate, the others will continue to peck it. Separate it and put some neopsporin on it, she should be fine in a couple of days then you can put her back in. You may also want to try a red bulb if you don't have one, and yes, definitely make sure you have enough room! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by