Help with new chick! Red butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snapkrackelpop19, Feb 7, 2011.

1. snapkrackelpop19

snapkrackelpop19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Seattle
    I just a few new chicks and one has a really red irritated looking butt. It looks like maybe some yolk dried on it? I wiped it off with a wet cloth but I was wondering what you think it may be and if its fatal. The chick is pretty peppy and active.

2. snapkrackelpop19

Aug 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Awwh her poor little bum looks real bad, and it looks like a little bump or something below her vent. I hate to mess with her too much [​IMG] Anyone see this before?

3. snapkrackelpop19

Aug 12, 2010
    Seattle
    So the lump was like a dried of piece of poo or egg shell that got stuck on I peeled it off and its bleeding a little bit however the chicky seems to be okay, hopping around and such. I just worry about infection, is neosporin safe to use, or anything else?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is the chick getting pecked at? Other chicks will peck it until it bleeds and cause extreme problems for your flock (bad habit of pecking).

I would put Rooster Booster Pick no more lotion on it if you have it to prevent pecking. It stains and looks like molasses- they should have a no-pick salve at the feed store. They don't like the taste.

Another good thing to put on it if you don't have no-pick lotion is antibiotic ointment without painkillers. And if you don't have that, then vaseline might help.

I have had pasty butt that I wash off, then the area is reddened slightly from cleaning. Then other chicks start pecking unmercifully at it until it is bleeding. That's why I mentioned the no pick lotion...but if you are not experiencing that, then the antibiotic ointment should be great.

You can even separate the little guy inside the brooder with food and water until you get some no pick lotion if they start cannibalizing.

5. snapkrackelpop19

Aug 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Thank you [​IMG]
    Shes doing a lot better and none of the other chickies are pecking at her so i think she's going to be okay [​IMG]
    I might put some ointment on it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by