Help with new chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ahavati, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Ahavati

Ahavati Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    Need some quick help! We have some 3 day old chicks. Just a bit ago I was cleaning a pasty butt and went to check all the other chicks (we have 15) to make sure no one else was affected. I found my Snow EE acting strange. She would not open her eyes, was cheeping loud and felt super light and weak. She would stumble when walking and was not acting like the others who were running around and scratching.
    I assumed that she did not drink anything. I dipped all their beaks in the water upon putting them in the brooder, but I never saw her out from under the heating cave. I promptly got a syringe and fed her water mixed with NutriDrench. She perked up a bit and now has her eyes open chirping. I tried to get her to eat but haven't been able to.
    I put her in her own box with a heating pad and food + water. She is quiet sleeping by the warmth. How do I get her to eat? Do I just leave her there a while and she'll come out for more water and food? I seperated her because once I put her back, one of the other chicks pecked at her and they were running around and knocking her over.

2. Ahavati

Ahavati Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2016
    Woodville, TX
    I gave her more water via syringe. I saw her by the food water, not sure if she had touched it. But she's back by the warmth sleeping. I did notice some black tarry/watery looking poo though. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by