Help with new chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Awonderer, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Awonderer

Awonderer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Templeton, CA
    Hi all,

We just received our new flock today. 18 baby chicks showed up, 17 seem to be doing great. One is lethargic and keeps lying down. I have dipped hi beak, put chick starter next to him, made sure he is warm. Nothing working. Anything I should do to save him? I don't think he will make it through the evening. The picture of her is shown below.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. Sam091599

Sam091599 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I have gotten chicks before and had one simalar thing happer to this one :( sadly mine didnt make it :( I would try to get water in it I did mine with a syringe unfortunately it seemed to stay away from the others and I don't think there is Any thing you can do more for it I think it's just weak :( I hope it gets better ! I wouldn't let it get cold ! Best luck !!

3. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

By save-a-chick electrolytes I had a chick similar to yours and when I have her the electrolytes she perked right up.

4. Awonderer

Awonderer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Templeton, CA
    Thanks... She did not make it. All the others seem to be doing great.

5. fortyfivefarm

fortyfivefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry you lost her :( Electrolytes & vitamins are the best thing for shipped birds due to the stress. I give all of our chicks some, rather hatched here or shipped in. Good luck with your new babies. :)

6. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do your chicks get hyper when you give them electrolytes? Boy, mine do! I don't know what's in that stuff, but it really gets their gears going.

7. fortyfivefarm

Lol, I have noticed they do seem a little more amped when I use it. It's good stuff! I've threatened to put some in my hubby's coffee some mornings.

8. Sam091599

Mar 2, 2014
    Awwwwww I'm sorry you lost her ! I hope the others do good I have had simalar problems and it great to hear that the electrolytes help I'm gout to get some next chicks I get :) where do you get your chick from ? I normally get mine from tractor supply . Have you ever gotten them there ?

9. Sam091599

Mar 2, 2014

Where do you get it ?

10. fortyfivefarm

I get mine at our local feed store. I've used the Save-a-chick many times. Now I get the larger quantity of the vitamin & electrolyte mix that is for multiple species - mammals & birds. It's cheaper for my set-up here. (cattle & horses - not the hubby :). Yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by