Help with new chicks

valwoire

Hatching
Aug 9, 2015
Hi

I have just had some chicks hatch under a broody hen. Unfortunately, some of them died and I think it might have been down to mum crushing them (this is her first time hatching). I checked this morning and there was one new live chick, and what I thought were two dead. As I picked them up, one of them made the tiniest movement so I've brought it in and put it on hot water bottles and now it's dry, fluffy, cheeping etc. I went to check on mum again and found the chick that hatched last night dead under her (it was ok this morning). She's now left the four remaining eggs on the nest and is sitting on the floor of the coop with the first hatched chick under her, eating and drinking. She seems totally disinterested in the other chick. That poor little thing was very cold when I picked it up so I've brought it in and put it on the hot water bottles with the other one. I'm going to take the eggs away now so she'll concentrate on the chicks.

So my question is - will she take these two chicks back? Should I get the other chick out of the coop and bring it in too? I don't have a brooder and not sure how I could set one up today, I'm very limited in what I can buy on a Sunday where I live. Also the chick that I revived this morning has curly toes. I'm going to try and tape them later when my husband gets back so he can help me. Will it be ok to go out in the coop with taped feet?

Thanks for your help

Things can be very difficult with a first time broody.

She might take these two chicks back or she might not. Some people will tell you to try and smuggle them under the broody hen at night (when she is more docile) but the trouble with that is that if she rejects them they will die- because in all probability you will be in bed.

Whereas if you put them back under her during the day then you can keep an eye on what is going on and move them out if neccessary.

Your alternatives do seem to be a bit limited. I don't suppose that you have another broody hen, do you? Or know someone locally that has a broody hen or a brooder?

You can make a brooder out of things that you have at home but the heat lamp needs to be purchased. That could be your stumbling block

http://modernfarmer.com/2015/04/how-to-build-a-brooder/

This article mentions using a 100W bulb instead of a heatlamp but that is for use indoors when the night time temperature is 65F. As with heatlamps, just use with extreme caution.

Keep in touch

Thank you for your reply.

I borrowed an electric hen off a friend and have them set up in a dog crate in the kitchen :)

I'm off work today and I think it's going to be a fine day so I'm thinking of taking the two others out into the run, in a crate to begin with, to see what she makes of them.

Fingers crossed!

Thank you for your reply.

I borrowed an electric hen off a friend and have them set up in a dog crate in the kitchen :)

I'm off work today and I think it's going to be a fine day so I'm thinking of taking the two others out into the run, in a crate to begin with, to see what she makes of them.

Fingers crossed!

How is it going?

Back
Top Bottom