help with new ducks!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigchickenlittle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bigchickenlittle

bigchickenlittle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, tomorrow im getting 8 Wild flying mallard ducks and 2 pekin ducks. Is there anything special i should know about keeping them? Like foood or water needs? I am also getting 4 buff opringtons and 2 jersey giants with them plus all the extra males they add to the order.. [​IMG] can they be kept with each other? any advice and pics would be very much appreciated![​IMG]

2. bigchickenlittle

bigchickenlittle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    ooh and how do i make the mallards calm and friendly and not fly away?

3. Quackwacky

Quackwacky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    In regards to if the mallards can be friendly or not completly depends on the age when you get them. If under 3 days they will imprint on you and see you as "mommy". I didnt let mine imprint and they will keep a 4-5' distance from us. They know where thier home is and where the feed is kept so they don't go far. The 8 I have take thier flights every morning and every evening and get out of sight, but always return in 10 minutes or so. Some people suggest clipping their wings, but I never have. I want them to be able to get away from predators.
    If you keep your ducks together they will mate with the other breeds. Hope this helps.

4. Azd1292

Azd1292 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I have two mallards that I got when they were 2 days old. They were raised with three non flying ducks. They sometimes take short flights around the house but are very quick to return the other ducks. My female is very friendly and likes me to lift up rocks so she can find worms( it gets a little difficult when she stands on the rock I'm lifting lol) When she was little she used to like to nap on my lap and prob still would if I had time to sit in the yard. All the ducks are spoiled little buggers that follow me around the yard. Lots of attention and peas helped win their love I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by