help with new hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nortonsmom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Nortonsmom

Nortonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    I had about a dozen chicks hatch out from 3 different groups of eggs - about 3 dozen all together...my problem is that two that hatched out this am are curled up in C position and dont seem to be able to get up or hold their heads up, but their feet and legs seem fine...any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes, get him some polyvisol and for his head get him some Vitamin E, immediately.. Only give him about a drop of the vitamin E, and within an hour you will see him getting his head up. The polyvisol is a liquid vitamin that will help him to get his strength back.

When you give him the vitamin E just put it in front of his beak let him drink it, don't force it down his throat, when you see that he got some take it away. Hold his head straight up when you do this, if he doesn't move his beak to drink it will just slide down. He doesn't need much just a little to get a jump start. You can get it anywhere.. Think about how a chicken drinks, they get the water and put there heads up to let it go down there throats, you want to mimick the same procedure. Just don't put his head down keep it up..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. Nortonsmom

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    I gave them both a bit of vitamin e off my finger and 2 squirts of baby virtamins in 4 oz of water...which they both had and drank...how long? They both seemed to spazm...maybe from be dehydrated? Is there anything else I can do or watch for...I just feel terrible...they look good, just all curled up...
    Thanks for your response.

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    give them some time they will snap out of it.. they aren't bleeding or anything are they? I would give them the baby vitamin directly in there mouths. The water thing is good but give them a drop each. Do this 3 times a day or until they snap out of it. (sort of speak)

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Where are they? Are they still in the incubator? What is the temp and humidity at?

6. Nortonsmom

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    ok - I thought I should mix the vitamin...I'll give a shot straight up...Thanks for your reply...appreciate it!

7. Nortonsmom

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    no - they came out this morning with everyone else and thats when I noticed they were not like everyone else...they were all runnig around and peeping and sleeping and looking at me and these two were curled up like little c's....Im hoping this will help

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    are they dried off? Sounds like maybe they aren't quite dried and are cold? I have two of my own that are doing the same thing, but I have them still in the incubator. i won't move them until they are completely dried off.

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    If you took them out this morning, I would put them back in the incubator by themselves, give them at least 24 hours to completely dry off and get enough strength to walk and chirp..

10. Nortonsmom

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    they were dry - they had popped out the day before...had been in the bater till then...I moved them all at the same time...and everyone looked good - dry - no issues - thats what so weird....as of this am they are still just laying there curled up...I've given them vit E and polyvisol a couple times now, but its not looking good. Its just weird because the other chicks are perfectly normal, runnning around and eating...and they arent getting any better. Thanks for your help tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by