Help with new/ old mix of birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deanmarz, Jul 20, 2019.

1. deanmarz

deanmarz Chirping

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    So, it came that time to replenish the hen flock as they were getting older and the egg production is dimming. 25 hens and 15 eggs per day. Put the order in for 25 more chicks and they arrived in March. A very colorful group which is what we wanted to brighten up the yard. The older (senior) hens are all ISA browns.
    Here is the problem.... the new chicks now 18 weeks old will not leave the coop. When they were big enough to go outdoors the coop was split in half with plastic fence and they had their own manual door to get out in the run. I opened the door and they go out. At night they go in and I close the door. Now with the dividing fence down, the chicks will not go out the automatic door with the senior girls. They just sit on the window sill and look at the fun chicken activities taking place in the sun.

I am so frustrated now, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Or am I being too impatient and the young ones will eventually figure it out.

2. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    you got it! What breeds are they, your new colourful group?

MountainGaurdian likes this.
  3. deanmarz

deanmarz Chirping

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    Ameraucana, Whiting true blue, wyandotte, opringtons, french black copper marans, bielefelder, blue laced red wyandotte, golden laced wyandotte are the new girls.

Gunna have color if they ever come out and run around.

4. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    :gig

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Might shoe them out a bit, might entice them with some treats, but the best is to let them figure it out.

Ridgerunner likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long has it been since the wall came down?

7. deanmarz

deanmarz Chirping

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    Update: Half of the newbies venture out during the day but, the good news is that they all figured out how to get back in the coop at sundown.

aart likes this.
  8. laceynoelle

laceynoelle I am Batman

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Yay! They're getting there!

9. deanmarz

deanmarz Chirping

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    Three cave dwellers left but at least the other ones are having fun. I have been getting a tiny green egg everyday now. I hope they all start to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: