Help with newly hatched chicks? Pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cookfor4, Apr 26, 2009.

1. cookfor4

cookfor4 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    We have a broody hen that we moved into a seperate cage, and we started out with about 6 eggs. 3 have hatched, 1 died, and two are still alive.
    What is the best enviroment for the chicks? I do not have a good history with raising chicks, last year only 6 out of 17 of the ones I ordered made it. Would it be best to leave them with the mom? I would really like to bond with these ones, as the other hens and roosters are'nt very friendly.
    Also, the two chicks keep pooping in the feed, and then the hen eats it? Is that normal? She makes it very difficult to change the litter, or put food in. Also, the nesting box she is in is where the chicks are, but how will they get out to eat the starter? And is it ok for the hen to eat the starter?
    Thanks! I have pics to post but I cant figure that out yet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. cookfor4

cookfor4 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Anyone?

3. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Sorry, I read your post, but didn't respond cuz I don't know. Maybe somebody else knows. We've never had a broody.

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    It's better for the chicks if left with mom. She will teach them what they need to know. Are the hens eating the poo or just tossing it out of the way? I wouldn't worry about momma eating the starter.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest that you left the chicks with the momma, she can keep them alive, fed and watered the best of all of us.
    As for pooh in the food, chicks and chickens do it all the time- gross to us.
    If you have a dog carrier, I would suggest placing a "nest" of hay- or whatever you use for nesting, move her and the chicks to it. At night, place the box in the house (coop or residence- just away from preditors and that includes roo or other hens with room for water and feed (that needs to be kept at all times) Nothing has to be fancy, but during the day where they can get some sun and shade (tarp or tree) even a childs play pen upside down so she can teach them to find food, eat grass, stones and food.
    Good luck to you and make sure you offer her regular feed as I've found that eating to much of the chick starter can cause coughing in adults. So just keep it in mind if your momma hen begins coughing- there isn't much you can change until the chicks are older! (always something! lol)
    Good luck to you and wish you well!

6. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I always take the babies away, primarily because I am not set up for chicks outside (they can get through the fence and I don't have a place to keep them closed in). I keep them in a brooder box until they have their feathers. This way I can slowly bond with them. I put my hand inthe box without picking them up for a while, then I gently start touching them then I start picking them up and holding them. They are not scared of me at all, and when they get big enough to go outside, they are like dogs....they come running to me! I'ts only for a few weeks that you have to take care of them, and it makes all the difference in the world if you care about them being "skittish" around you. GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide to do [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by