1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with newly hatched chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCoop, Mar 21, 2012.

1. McCoop

McCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ramona
    my first time with a broody hen and the chicks hatched last night on day 21. I am very excited because I just let her do her thing and so far so good.

The chicks are under her starting to move around. I have a few questions.

1. Do I remove the empty shells now?
    2. Do they need chick starter feed today right away?
    3. They are with mom secluded in my garage in a nesting box...I will keep her here and then this weekend I can move her outside where I have a separate chicken home and run away from the flock?

Thanks for helping me!!!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like everything is going well, and you've got a great plan!

Don't worry about the egg shells until she gets up off of them, and the babies will be fine for 72 hours without food or water because they are absorbing their egg yolks, but I would put some chick feed and water down for them anyhow.

Yes, this weekend, move them into their new home, and mama will watch over them and keep them warm. Just remember to have chick crumbles and water in a place where the chicks can reach it, and mama will handle the rest.

Congratulations!
    Sharon

3. McCoop

McCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ramona
    Thank you so much! Perfect directions for next steps. I love BYC forum!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by