help with OEGB chick identification

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dinahmoe, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    ithis morning i got chicks in from cackle hatchery.i have never ordered from a hatchery and i was very nervous about getting them.these are for 2 friends of mine.i ordered 50 OEGB chicks and got 57 healthy LIVE babies.i am going to split the order in half and got 9 different colors.i didn't realize that most of them would look a like.
    is there any distinct stripe or something for the chipmunky looking ones?
    i may have to keep them a little longer than planned to split them up fairly.

this is what i ordered:
    wheaten -5
    spangled-5
    gold duckwing-10
    crele-5
    red pyle-5
    brassy back-5
    BBR-5
    silver duckwing-5
    brown red-5

red pyle?white feathers-6
    [​IMG]
    wheaten-6
    [​IMG]
    brown red?-5
    [​IMG]
    ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the only one like this
    [​IMG]
    and then there are alot of these.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    yes, red pyles are yellow/white when chicks...

3. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I can already see some of the issues you are going to face with ID...
    The wheaten and BBR cockerel are very hard to distinquish,as they have the same plumage pattern.The hens color out differently though.
    The Gold and Silver duckwing (especially from hatchery stock)are almost identical.The difference being that the gold SHOULD have more of a creamy colored hackles and deep gold onthe wings.However,I have seen many people order hatchery,and you cannot tell the difference except for some sparce gold discoloring to the primaries and a dirty look to the rest.

4. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    The Crele male and female chicks will look different form each other too. The females are chipmunk patterened with "eyeliner" marks around their eyes, the boys are a grayish color on their back that is more reddish with a white dot on their head. Here's a picture of some of our chicks: two on the left are female, the one on the right is male, all are Crele OEGB's:

[​IMG]

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:ok thanks.
    i have 3 that appear to have a little spot on their head.
    [​IMG]

6. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Those 3 aren't Crele's. Crele Males have a white spot but are NOT chipmunk patterened. The females are chipmunk patterened but do NOT have the white spot. See my pic above. The guy on the right is the male Crele, his white dot is not as noticable as some, but he does have it.

I'm trying to remember which other breeds might have the white dot, but can't remember!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by