Help With Ongoing Golf Ball Saga On Roosters Neck/unpleasant Photo

chelmer640

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Hello, I have posted this info several times, but no one seems to know what to do, and I admit it is baffling. My very healty and sequestered in a nice cage Rooster developed this horrendous golf ball sized thing on his neck under his feathers. I noticed it when I fed him breakfast 2 days ago and I had not noticed it before. I suppose it could have been there but just not as large so I didn't see it. It has pussy green on it and is bleeding, weeping sort of by the quills. I have given him an antibiotic in his water called Aureomycin chloretetracycline and neosporin as well as rinsing it with peroxide. I even poked the thing with a sterile needle as directed by a feed store owner to try and see if I could drain it. It just bleeds and doesn't go down. I can't tell if it's a wound or what, maybe a tumor. But, he is eating, crowing and drinking fruit juice and antibiotic water and food. He is now sequestered inside the house. I have no access to a bird vet and can't perform surgery on him as I am not a proffessional vet. I really want him to make it, but I don't know what else to do. He is 6 years old. Here is pic. Not pretty. uploads/9
869_100_2363.jpg

Hello, I have posted this info several times, but no one seems to know what to do, and I admit it is baffling. My very healty and sequestered in a nice cage Rooster developed this horrendous golf ball sized thing on his neck under his feathers. I noticed it when I fed him breakfast 2 days ago and I had not noticed it before. I suppose it could have been there but just not as large so I didn't see it. It has pussy green on it and is bleeding, weeping sort of by the quills. I have given him an antibiotic in his water called Aureomycin chloretetracycline and neosporin as well as rinsing it with peroxide. I even poked the thing with a sterile needle as directed by a feed store owner to try and see if I could drain it. It just bleeds and doesn't go down. I can't tell if it's a wound or what, maybe a tumor. But, he is eating, crowing and drinking fruit juice and antibiotic water and food. He is now sequestered inside the house. I have no access to a bird vet and can't perform surgery on him as I am not a proffessional vet. I really want him to make it, but I don't know what else to do. He is 6 years old. Here is pic. Not pretty. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/869_100_2363.jpg

I would treat it just like bumblefoot. Use warm wet compresses to soften the area, clean the area with betadine and use a scalpel to cut a tiny incision in it. Drain it. flush it with diluted betadine using a large syringe (no needle) and fill with neosporin and bandage just to catch access fluids. You do not want to close the wound.

You can use Ambesol toothache drops to numb the area if you like. Scalpels are so sharp the rooster probably will not know what happened. You can get them at the feed stores. If you lay him on his side and cover his head with a dark fabric he should stay still.

Wear gloves and use eye protection.

Do this yourself or visit a vet. I know it's a chicken but any vet (if they are true professionals) should take care of an abcess on any animal or human for goodness sake. The procedure is the same.

Have something done soon. If this infection get into his blood (systemic infection) there is nothing you can do.

Continue the pennicillin for 10 more days.

Where do you live?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom