1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Oral Administering of Baytril/others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ben, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ben

ben New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Hi All - we had a small free range chicken flock - just 3 girls and one rooster. We suffered what I believe was a coyote attack - during the day and lost all 3 hens.

My rooster survive but has a small puncture wound that is healing. Vet has me giving Baytril via a funky curvy needle so I can go down the chicken's throat but I am super inexperienced and don't want to hurt him or me. How do I do this? How do I keep the mouth open and immobilize the neck? (I know I need to secure the legs).

OR - do I really need to do this at all?

Other ways such as combining with food?

Thoughts please! I just don't want to traumatize mr. rooster any more than necessary.

Ben

2. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I always get the baytril tablets and just pop it down their throat. Before I figured out how to do that I would mash it with a few drops of water in a syringe but pill down the throat works better.

Is this an avian vet? The needle sounds dangerous going down the throat to me. I would ask if you can just give it orally. If you can I would then remove the needle after the right dose is in the syringe and open the mouth and administer it that way so he swallows it. After that attack I would definitely use the baytril.

Sorry for your loss. Sure hope he does well poor guy.

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    If you can, I would take off the curved irrigation tip and just drip the Baytril in the tip of the beak. Don't drown the bird in it, just one drop at a time.

4. ben

ben New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks!

How do you hold the bird still and keep the beak open?

BTW - we mixed the antibiotic with scrambled eggs and he ate it all!!

The vet was probably not an avian vet.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by