1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with our pet roosters crop (pictures) UPDATE and WORMS pics!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mycutekitties, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Please help Barred! (update below)
    1) What type of bird , age and weight 8 Month old Plymouth Rock Hatchery cock. about 7 lbs (he is HUGE!)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Puffed up, watery poop, big crop
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since this morning
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No but yesterday he got into a fight with one of our bantams and had a little blood on his comb. I dont think this is related
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    This morning I wormed all the birds with Wazine 17. This afternoon I noticed Barred (his name) looked funny. Even my daughter noticed his huge crop. I was able to massage it down but it keps refilling (I think)
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. (not sure)
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Very runny, clear
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I massage his crop and moved him away so he can be alone.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? We dont have any vets that see chickens so I'm his only hope.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: free range but sleeps in a coup at night.
    This is him tonight:
    [​IMG]
    Pics of him recently (he is very loved)
    [​IMG]
    UPDATE!I went to check on him and he had 2 poops that looked like this. I didn't know wormer worked that fast. I worm every 4 months and have never seen anything in their poops. Could this be why he is "under the weather". Just dealing with the worms leaving his body. I feel so bad he even had them!
    [​IMG]
    a closer look of just the worms
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Does he have a foul odor coming from crop? If he is impacted you can give him some olive oil along with the massage.

3. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:Like make him drink that?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Before panicking, put up any food tonight and check him first thing in the morning (before he has access to any food). If the crop looks normal again - great! Maybe he just overindulged today????
    If it's still very full in the morning, then try giving him a few drops of olive oil and massaging.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Now I'm teary eyed from that picture of your daughter (?) hugging him. [​IMG]
    You may have to separate him to manage what goes in and what goes out. He may have a blockage, and fluid is the only thing that will pass as poop. I would keep him alone. If his crop is full in the morning before breakfast, he may be impacted. Give him water. Give him some bread soaked in a bit of olive oil. Only real soft mush foods. Massage his crop several times a day. Hopefully within a week you'll see some clumps coming out as poo.

6. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:Thanks, I have him in his own area. I hope he makes it. He is so sweet he will eat right out of my hand.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Thanks, I have him in his own area. I hope he makes it. He is so sweet he will eat right out of my hand.

I don't think there's much better than a nice huggy rooster.

8. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Quote:Like make him drink that?

If his crop is impacted the oil will help move it down into the stomach so it can go out the other end. You dont have to give him much. Thats if his crop is impacted. You should pull the food and check it in the morning if its not empty then give him the oil. :>

9. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I am really worried about him. Should his poop look like this so soon after worming?
    [​IMG]

10. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    After you worm them.
    They are going to expel alot of worms if they have a heavy infestation.
    So i'd say thats normal for him to be having stool like that after worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by