Help with peas please!

Almosta Farm

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2013
Central NC
I just rescued these 2 beauties and know next to nothing about peafowl. I'm pretty sure that I have a hen and a cock (if I'm wrong, Please let me know), but I have no idea of the age or the breed. Can someone here help me out? I don't know why part of the pics are cut off, but if you click, it will show larger full photo. Any and all help is appreciated!

Pretty pair! You do have a guy and a gal there.
The guy's a yearling, and looks like spalding pied (others who know more will weigh on on this).
Not sure about the gal, she may be IB or??

And...

welcome-byc.gif
Looks like a wonderful pair to me! Congratulations!!

Just make sure they are on a worming schedule, i do mine every 3 months with safe guard and treat them for mites with ivermec 1cc behind the neck one cc at the base of the tail just for safe measure
i know if one looks ill it has been wormed , and should be mite free and can eliminate that when it comes to diagnosing an illness.

Very pretty pair
love.gif
how did you rescue them? I rescued some but they looked much worse than yours and they were a bit younger, they are beautiful now and i will be getting eggs form the hens this year.
this is what mine looked like.

And here are some of them this year.

These are all the boys i got that day except the male in the upper right corner.

one of the boys back in January this year.

Oh no! Poor babies! What in the world (or who) happened to them???

Mine were in the trunk of a very small car. I went to Tractor Supply to buy chicken and horse feed and when I came out I saw this hispanic guy showing someone something in his trunk. When I walked past, I saw that it was these 2 pretties. I stopped and asked him about them ... he was trying to sell the pair for $50. When I asked why so cheap, he got nervous and said he was selling them for his brother. I asked if they were stolen ... he, of course, said no. So, I said, "Well, they can't stay in your trunk. I have your license plate number. You can either give them to me or I think I'll just call the police and have them check it out." He handed them over. I did call the police, but the plate came back registered to a different type car and had been reported as stolen. I was in NC and the plate was a Virginia plate. No telling where they actually came from.

So now you knowingly are in possessing of stolen goods .
lau.gif

Those babies we under the care for someone with lots of family matter, guess they left the wrong person in charge wished i could have taken them all.

Last edited:
Yeah ... and I was a deputy sheriff for 21 years!!!
idunno.gif
They were obviously cared for. There are no bands or micro chips, but the wings are clipped. Is there a database for lost and/or stolen peafowl? Now that I have them, I don't want to give them up ... but if they were mine and stolen, I'd like someone to attempt to find me and return them.

I have to jump in here to say:
Please try to find their owners!

My boy Peggy was peanapped last year, and it was only because the person who found him was persistent that I got him back, miraculously.
If you think they were peanapped, I suggest calling Animal Services, humane society, vets, feed stores, posting on craigslist, and putting up flyers.
And then...call them all over again.
The person who found Peggy and I called the same places repeatedly and it still took a while for someone to put us into contact with each other.

If you do find their owners, now that you know how wonderful peas are, you can get some of your own...

Back
Top Bottom