1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with picking the right rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FreeRangers4Me, Nov 3, 2016.

1. FreeRangers4Me

FreeRangers4Me Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    Hello, I was just fixing to place an order for white egg layers/light breeds to add to my free range brown egg layers. I'm thinking of getting:
    3 Ancona
    6 Blue Andalusian
    3 Egyptian Fayoumis
    3 Golden Penciled Hamburgs
    6 Silver Spangled Hamburgs
    3 Silver Leghorns
    3 Buff Minorca

Anyone have any experience with roosters from the above list? I want one that is good with predator awareness but not rough with the hens. I know these breeds can be flightly and not petlike but I cannot tolerate a mean rooster. So, any idea?
    FYI I already have an EE and Welsummer rooster.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never had a rooster but seeing all the breeds you are interested in reminded me of the Chicken Breed Focus Project and some of the breeds you list have been part of that project. You might find some good information following the links given here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/975504/chicken-breed-focus-project

Good luck to you, it sounds like you are going to have a gorgeous flock!

3. FreeRangers4Me

FreeRangers4Me Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks! I've kind of gotten a bit obsessed with chickens lately. I keep finding more breeds I just have to try out.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It happens to a lot of us! It's called "chicken math" and there's no cure, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by