Help with pipping egg- I broke the shell! PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeamChaos, Apr 22, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I was checking under one of my broody hens today to see how many of the pipping eggs from yesterday had completely hatched today. I pulled one of the eggs out to candle and I broke a big piece of shell off. The chick had already pipped, it's still got the white membrane around it, but there is no shell near it's beak anymore. Will it be able to hatch itself?? I am so sad. How will I know if it's in distress and needs help? The membrane still looked wet in some places and there was a little pink tinge to it. Are there pictures of what the "proper position" for hatching is?

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    It should be fine. The shell might have already been cracked in that spot and ready to fall off.

3. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    It doesn't matter that the chick can't reach any more hard shell ?

4. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    The egg will be fine. I don't think you moving the pipped shell pieces away is going to affect the outcome at all.
    Sit on your hands! Sometimes it takes a long time from pip to hatch!

5. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    You're right, I need to let it be. I just feel so BAD for not thinking "hey, others might be pipping today"; I was so focused on finding the babies that emerged last nite. *sigh* Thank you

6. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Well, he was out of the egg and alive when I cooped everyone up tonite. Let's hope all is well in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by