1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with power outage and lockdown dates

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kitira, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Kitira

Kitira New Egg

May 21, 2012
    South West Florida
    So I've finally gone from being a lurker to being a poster. I am working on my second hatch using a Hov-A-Bator (w/ built in fan) and the first hatch went perfect, save for one infertile egg. I locked down on day 19, morning of. My second hatch here suffered a four hour power outage on day 6. I have since kept up with candling and everybody seems to be progressing in their shells. No duds save, again, one, this time out of 28 eggs. (Holy cow, what a lot of chicks!) My big question for the evening as I again face day 19's morning, should I lockdown on schedule if the chicks are set back a little? I didn't weigh anybody the first time around, only candled throughout, so I'm unsure whether to progress, or wait an extra day or two. Please help if anyone has any experience with this. I'd really like to not bungle this hatch. :(

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    four hours is not anything to worry about you might get a small delay, but givem' till 22 day anyway good luck!

3. Kitira

Kitira New Egg

May 21, 2012
    South West Florida
    Thanks for the feedback. Last time I started to see pipping in the afternoon on day 20. I candled on the evening of the 18th and could see little bits of movement if I aimed the flashlight straight down on the top of the eggs. Otherwise the eggs look full, so my fingers are crossed that they won't be too far behind.

4. Kitira

Kitira New Egg

May 21, 2012
    South West Florida
    Just as a note, should anyone be interested in how this went, Friday, day 25 of the cycle for these guys and all but 5 seem to have hatched just fine. Most hatched today, though a couple began yesterday. If I had realized how long it would take them, I would have waited for lockdown until Monday or Tuesday instead. I even had two pips that failed to finish I think because of a lack of moisture. Baring this in mind, I would say if you have a power outage that's kinda long and early into the cycle, wait to lockdown a couple of days. They really do need the extra time if you want better results.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by