Help with prolapse after soft shell egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BayFillyZ, Jul 30, 2010.

1. BayFillyZ

BayFillyZ Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Alabama
    I know I have read about this condition in the past here but now that i am going through it myself, i can't find any of that information . and i don't really know how to describe exactly what i am seeing but i will try. my BO pullet who is 23 weeks old has laid a softshell egg. which wasnt a great concern to me until i noticed part of her insides were coming out of her vent. theres a white creamy substance all over her rump feathers along with a little blood and some of her insides are protruding out of the vent now. on the membrane are white bumps. i took a good photo that i can email to someone who would like to help but i cannot figure out how to post one to this message. i need help figuring out what this condition is and what to do. i have moved her to an inside cage by herself because i know other chickens will peck this. she is eating and drinking and behaving normally but i havent seen her poop. i feed her layena crumble mixed with flockraiser.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Do a search on "prolapse' or "prolapse uterus" and see if that describes her condition. If it is, you'll need to push it back up inside her (probably many times).
    Good luck and keep us posted.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    BTW: to upload a photo, go to the "UPLOADS" tab up in the blue bar and click on "browse" to find your photo on your computer. It's simple to do and a photo may be of great assistance in treating your hen.

4. BayFillyZ

May 8, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Seperate her - put honey on it ( its a natural antibiotic!) and push gently back inside.

Don;t let flies near her. The other chickens will attack the prolapse so you need to seperate into a dark warm place so she is also detered from wanting to lay!!!!!!!!!!

Best I can do - it looks good and pink so do try to save her. If it goes green and smelly sorry but you will need to cull then. If it stays good and live and pink your in with a chance.

My lovely hen didn;t make it but others here on BYC have managed to put it back and save their hens.

Good luck with her.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

6. BayFillyZ

May 8, 2010
    Alabama
    She is seperated in a cage in my house. Maybe i caught the prolapse early because i pushed it back inside last night about 3 different times and today the prolapsed tissue is staying back inside. last night i tried a little honey and this morning i treated her by cleaning the area again and got some preparation h inside. the vent opening is only small enough for a qtip to fit which i think is a good sign. she is also pooping normally. i don't know what will happen if she lays another egg though. i have sulmet in her water hoping that is the right antibiotic because it and tylan 50 are all i have onhand.

7. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    If you keep her in a dark area it will deter her from laying for a few days and give her a chance to heal. Apparently a lot of folk have had great success with honey. I didn;t know about that when I lost my hen - though she was bleeding and the coop was chain saw masacure so I didn;t get her in time but hope you did get your girl in time. If it comes out again and is green and smelly - sorry you've lost her you will have to cull - if it stays that good pink put it in again! So keep a good eye on it and I do hope she gets better for you.

Best of luck am thinking of you.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

8. BayFillyZ

May 8, 2010
    Alabama
    Didn't know that about the dark place. The room she is in isnt really bright though. Maybe that has helped. So far no eggs. Her vent this afternoon is looking almost normal now. I plan to keep her indoors until she lays the egg to see if she prolapses all over again or not. I really appreciate your help. [​IMG]

9. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Hope this helps you - it was sent to me from Peaceful - [​IMG]
    I was trying to find it for you and well managed to tonight!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

10. chickypoo4

chickypoo4 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    First of all I am the very newest of newbies. I picked up my first babies on 5/21/10. My hen has also had a also prolasped today. (BayFillyZ I'm sorry to enter in on your forum...I'm not forum savvy and REALLY worried about my girl) I went out to coop this a.m.and all my girls hopped out as normal, except the roo and my 11 week BR hen(I have 12 total). My girl was just not "right". I picked her up and noted lots of blood and tissue from her vent and down. She also had a 1/2 inch prolaspe. The prolaspe retracted after a betadine wash with gentle pressure.
    The reason I worry is because her vent prolasped again after the very next bowel movement which consisted of light green/white watery poo. Not the normal dark poo I am used to. Since my girl is really to young to have egg troubles, abdomen is soft, I worry about bowel impaction. She has had 3 loose pale stools today and is drinking a moderate amount of water. She seems calm and will chirp to me when asked. The reason I post this is her last stool was watery ,white and but bloody with no darkness to it.
    All info I am able to gather relates to hens already laying with prolaspe being due to being egg bound or fat and old. I worry her trouble is bowel but do not not what to do. Any body with any info to share?The fact that her stools are bloody are discouraging. My girls have a 40x40 fenced area to run about. I recently ( 2 weeks ago) changed from medicaticted chick food to grower as rec from my local agway store which I don't think I am going to go to anymore. I would so appreciate any insight as to what might be amiss with my girl. thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by