Help with pullets, pale combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by billiejo21, Oct 16, 2011.

1. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    So, I purchased 5 standard black cochins from a gentleman who was selling off his whole flock. They were purchased this spring as day old chicks from a VERY reputable breeder who has excellent lines. The problem, their combs were pale, along with their wattles...they are also pretty thin, I can feel their breast bone and besides feathers, there's not much to them. When I got them home, I put them in our isolation area, wormed them with valbazen and dusted them for mites. I am feeding them starter feed, so they are getting 18% protein...they do appear to be eating and drinking and all of their crops have some food in there (although nothing like my other chickens do). I've added ACV to their water a couple times the last couple of days. They basically sit around, huddled together all day. They do have a 40x40 area to free range...I occasionally see them scratching and pecking around in the grass...but most of the day, they are just huddled together in a large cochin pile. I suspect that they were kept in a small cage their whole lives, as they appear to be somewhat confused about what to do in the grass. I've thrown them some scratch, and they seem mostly uninterested in it, I've also tried to give them fresh tomatoes and watermelon...again, they look at me like I'm nuts. Any other tips about what I should be doing?? Their poops appear to be normal, and I haven't seen any signs of worms (we are 4 days past the valbazen)...I also checked them over and didn't see any signs of mites or lice, but I dusted them anyways. Any other causes for the pale combs?? Do you think malnutrition could be the cause for these symptoms?? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like worms.

I would make sure to retreat for worms at 10 days to get the ones that were too young to be killed the first time. Pale combs could be from anemia from mites also (and worms). Don't forget to redust at 10 days for mites also.

They won't be very hungry with worms.

After treating for worms, they would benefit from some plain yogurt and scrambled eggs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Quote:Increased hunger and thirst is one of the main symptoms of worms

4. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    If they are so thin, and huddling, are they maybe cold? would adding a heatlamp help?

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Increased hunger and thirst is one of the main symptoms of worms

Mine just went through it with visible worms in poo, and their appetites weren't there. I guess everyone has differing experiences.

I agree with you that I have read increased appetite is a sign. I am just sharing my experience.

I apologize and should have posted that the classic signs are increased hunger, but mine experienced decreased hunger. They just seemed depressed and didn't want to eat as much.

6. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Maybe I should have said the first main symptoms of worms is increased hunger and thirst..Once they get a heavy load the appetite does diminish, The lack of nutrients and worm excretment does make them sick

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Thank you for explaining it! I figured my chickens were just weird or something. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lol that is why I love BYC- I am always learning.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

8. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks everyone...I was concerned maybe they had gapeworm, one of the hens was sort of gaping...so that's why I went with Valbazen. I plan on keeping them segregated and reworming and redusting in another 6 days. I have also gone back and forth about a heat lamp...but they are huddling all the time, not in their enclosure, but outside. It hasn't been terribly cold here...but I guess I wouldn't be out much trying it!! I think I'll buy some whole fat yogurt and maybe some cottage cheese and mix it with their feed. My husband seems to think they are improving...but I'm just worried! All our other chickens we've raised ourselves...they are big and healthy...never had any health problems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by