1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with pygmy doe that had too big of a baby... UPDATE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ametauss, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    My second doe kidded on Friday and it was the worst experience I had ever had....

The baby was WAY too big, was head backward and to the side and after 8 hours of trying to birth the baby, we think the baby died... We ended up pulling the baby out since the Vet was not available and the back-up Vet was not a large animal Vet and would not even try to help us... Told us to look in the yellow pages... [​IMG]

After taking her to our Vet (who's not really a large animal Vet) on Saturday and getting an antibiotic shot and an anti-inflamatory shot she's still seeping some blood and poo is getting stuck to that area... Can I just put a little wound iodine on the area after cleaning with plain water?? I've been milking her and we have one other doe due any time....

I want to see if she'll accept a baby from the last doe if she has multiples... Do you think that's a good idea??

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    Arnica montana, a homeopatic medicine. It won't hurt her or the milk
    Washing her down there with warm water and some powdered goldenseal would help too! keep her comfortable and milked. If the kid was too big take a good look at you daddy. I lived on a dairy farm and we had to change bulls because of the size of the calves. good luck. PM me if you want

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Oh I'm so sorry. We had this happen our first season, too, almost exactly the way you describe. The kid wasn't too big, it simply mispresented (head back, twisted under a foreleg) and we couldn't get it back in and turned.

Preparation H is great for helping the swelling go down after any birth. She will continue to clean out (blood discharge) for a few weeks...just use a warm cloth to wash her up.

One antibiotic shot won't do the trick. She needs to be on a course (7 days min) to prevent uterine infection.

4. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Thanks... Helmstead: I noticed in TSC that they had antibiotics... which one would I give her.... I just spent $100 at the vet....

I don't have any problems with shots.... She's just so tore up... there was a lot of skin that split and it's hanging there. The Vet cut off some of the skin but didn't even wipe the area or suggest any sort of cleaning. I just want to keep the area as clean as possible to aid in healing and prevent infection...

So warm water and no iodine to dry up the area??

She won't stand up to be milked so it's a tad difficult to milk a goat that's laying on it's side in pine shavings... but I'm doing it... I doubt I'm getting it all... I'm getting 3/4th of a cup of milk each time....

5. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Use normal old penicillian, sorry this happened [​IMG] if you want her to accept another does kid give it to her immediately and see if she'll clean it off, there are products you can buy to put on the moms nostrils and the babies head that will help her accept it. But I've found the milk from the doe who you want to adopt on the babies head works best [​IMG] goodluck!

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Wait a min, wait a min...

She's down? And had a peri tear? Is her anus still separated from the vulva, or did she tear all the way through?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If she's down and can't get up she probably has some nerve damage from the kid being stuck in the birth canal. We don't have goats (did when I was a kid) but we've got a cow herd. When one of our cows or heifers has trouble calving especially when it goes on for hours there is often swelling inside of her and nerve damage. If you can get her on her feet and steady her that would be good....help get some circulation back in her legs. We have a hip lift we use on the cows, but I'd think with a goat you could just do it by hand. If there's nerve damage sometimes it takes a long time for them to heal, and some never do.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree with kate on the Prep H as it helps the swelling and I personally would use BioMycin for shots...its 1 cc per 10 lbs is what I give mine that need it as this covers more types of infections that pen does. Sorry this happened also been there and done that...even pulled it by head to get it out. its hard sometimes but watch who you breed her too and personally I dont think I would rebreed her at all. Especially with all the tearing she did with this baby. Make her a pet, or sell her if the damage is Great. I have spayed a problem doe that had kidding trouble as she did it every time as she had a small pelvis.

9. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Oh I didn't see that she was down [​IMG] The vet didn't give you any direction for caring for the tear? I've pulled and re-positioned kids but never had a doe tear... sorry can't hel w/ that... as for her being down, pick her up many many times per day, try to hold her all the way up o her legs dangle, if someone could help and move her legs manually that'll help. Her rumen will shut down if she isn't getting up daily- also you could give her warm molasses water for energy if that's the issue [​IMG] good luck!

10. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I don't mean to disagree but from my understanding BioMycin and LA200 are more for respiratory illness' Peniciliian is for infection etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by