help with quail breed and sourcing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KIS Farm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. KIS Farm

KIS Farm New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    I have a 7 acre farm/feed store in Redmond, WA and wanted to look into getting some quail for an empty coop I have near the front of the property. It's approx. 5' X 10' (here's a pic: http://www.kisfarm.com/shop-3/products-2/saltbox-designs-portage-bay-coop/).

After a bit of reading, I was looking at the jumbo coturnix quail for their prolific egg and meat production, as I thought it would be a good demonstration coop for backyard urban farmers.

We already have a variety of chickens, ducks, rabbits, and bees on-site. I have a lot of experience/knowledge with chickens, but not with quail.

Do you think that this would be a good choice for that coop? Any thoughts on how I would source them. I do have an incubator for my chicken eggs I could use, but don't mind ordering live birds either. I would have an easier time finding other breeds locally, but it seems like the coturnix are advantageous based on the size of their eggs and fast growth.

Thanks in advance,
    Tad

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I would refer raising quail above ground for easy keep clean, less disease, easy to collect egg, etc.. The coop you have should work as well. I do have Jumbo coturnix (Brown and Italian color) hatched on 8/31/12 if you want to buy some. All the chicks hatched from egg 13 grams and larger.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. KIS Farm

KIS Farm New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    I also have some larger rabbit hutches, but thought the coop would be a better option due to it's larger size. Is there a good reference site for quail on the internet?

I would be interested in eggs. Feel free to send me an email at [email protected] Thanks!

4. speedy2020

Jul 24, 2010
    Here is a photo of the parent at 5 weeks on 7/1.
    [​IMG]

Weight on 8/2
    Italian female yellow color = 279grams =9.84oz
    Brown female = 370grams = 13.05oz

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. speedy2020

Jul 24, 2010
    I notice my quails eating, laying, and mating much less. I got 95% fertilized and about 80% hatched a month ago. The latest batch only 9 good and 27 eggs not fertilized. I think they peak mating season is in Spring through Summer. Does anyone see the same thing?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by